My first Flip!!

My first Flip!!

Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2014 · 22 posts · 0 votes

Hello Bigger Pockets!

I am about to start my first flip in Bakersfield, Ca!!! I have partnered with a couple that has been doing this for years, whom I trust and am excited to be able to learn as much as possible from them.

We set it up to where I will be getting a loan for the house($150K) where i will only be putting down 20%. My partners will then put in the money for all of the repairs, which should be in the 20-30K range. I would obviously be the one carrying the loan and at the end we would split the profit 50/50.

My question is whether or not anyone on bigger pockets has done this kind of deal before, and if so, is there anything that I should be aware of? I do not have the capital to do the entire flip myself, and am wondering if anyone has any advice or insight into this kind of deal and if there are any steps I should take to ensure i don't get screwed!!! Even though my partners are my friends and I trust them, this is business and business can get ugly at times!

Thank You in advance for your replies!

Ross Hoffmann

0Reply
12 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Temple, TX · Member since 2014 · 379 posts · 164 votes
    11y

    It sounds like a decent way to start with your first flip.  It's close to being equal on the amount of money put in by yourself and them.  Plus, it will be a great learning experience for you.  I hope all goes well for you and that this becomes your first of many investments!  :)

  • Real Estate Agent · naperville, IL · Member since 2014 · 193 posts · 53 votes
    11y

    Remember that if loan is on your name, you are taking bit higher risk since you will be liable for the mortgage.

    Have you thought about title? Are you keeping it on your single name or joint?

    Good luck with your first flip.

  • Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2014 · 22 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    @James Stevens  Thank you for your input. I also hope that it will be the first of many!!! 

    @Kumar Paj  Since it is my first flip, I have not setup a title account and I don't know if I will be working with these people in the future. It will be under my single name.

  • Contractor · Temecula, CA · Member since 2014 · 21 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    Hello, curious to see if the deal moved forward or how things are going. I'm interested in flipping as well and still just soaking up as much info as I can. 

    Partnering with experienced flippers sounds like a great way to get started.
    Please keep us posted with your progress if you are able to.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.