Foundation Repair Question

Foundation Repair Question

Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 254 posts · 56 votes

Hey BP,

So I just got my first house under contract (woohoo!) and everything looks good. Rehab is pretty straight forward, except for one thing: there's definitely foundation issues. There's a pretty solid vertical crack in the back of house in the garage (see picture attached) and the rest of that wall seems to be crumbling a bit. I did my best to factor that into my purchase price, however the inspector ordered by the hard money lender mentioned that they really like to have a report detailing that I have that foundation issue squared away. Essentially they want to protect themselves in the event that I cannot refinance (or sell) in 12 months to pay them back because the issue isn't adequetly fixed. I guess they want someone to be liable if the work isn't done appropriately that they can go after. I had a mason and a contractor come out and look at it, and they seem to think they can fix the issue, but I don't think they'll shoulder the liability.

So, with all that said, what would you all recommend is the best, most cost effective (both short and long term) way to handle this? Getting a structural engineer out to put together a report / cost estimate? Are there any other types of people that will shoulder the liability for this type of work?

Thanks for your help!

PS. Any recommendations for a structural engineer in the Philly area are appreciated!

0Reply
42 views

Most Popular Reply

Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 125 posts · 37 votes
11y

Welcome to the R. E. world, John.  

I've been a Licensed SE for 25 years. I've seen a lot worse.  I do agree with your earlier SE's opinion.  Its pretty obvious the back corner settled somewhat. The question is what caused it. Did it happen in 1920 or last year? Its possible there's a drainage problem in that corner. Check for standing water maybe from poor lot drainage or gutters clogged.  Go out in a rainstorm and look. Don't worry you won't melt. Its your hide thats on the line here. 

100 years ago a lot of houses were literally supported on rock piles. This corner may have been built on fill. There are a million variables.  Like I said, I've seen a lot worse. So you can get some sleep.

The easiest estimate for fixing would be call the RamJack folks, or similar companies.  I'm NOT advocating any one company so its best to get 3 estimates.   They auger down to firm soil and undermine the footing corner maybe 20' each way and literally jack it back up. They should guarantee their work too.  That should make put your lenders' inspector at ease.  Use this opportunity to polish up your negotiating skills and knock 'em down $10k.

Like the saying goes...When life gives you lemons...Get out the Tequila! 

(I made that last part up)

Good Luck.  :-)

P.S. Hmmm. February in Philly...maybe waiting until the snow melts would be a good idea.

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 902 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @John Matthews:

    @Troy Sheets Good call. I hadn't seen the need to upgrade to pro until now...if the $30/mo gets the deal, that's money well spent. I just took your advice and posted it on the marketplace.

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/517/topics/175...

    Is there anything you see in that ad that I'm missing/would help?

     Pictures would help, other than that it looks good!

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2014 · 178 posts · 64 votes
    11y

    @John Matthews Deals can fall apart for a lot of reasons, so of course it's a risk to put in $$ before closing. Not the worst thing that this isn't an option anyway. If owner won't do the work, s/he is going to have to wait for a cash buyer.

    As far as finding a partner, I'd also go to REI meetings and talk with anyone you can. If you're at a talk with panelists who are experts in this area, I'd approach them too after the talk with questions about your situation. I'd probably carry a printout of the spreadsheet and some pics just in case. In J Scott's Flipping book, he wrote a short section on finding a partner in exactly your situation -- good deal/first project... Every partnership is different, but what I took from it is that a more experienced investor may want to manage all the work as well, which will affect profit splits, but will be great experience for you and help to keep the project on track. Plus having less of your $$ and borrowing power tied up potentially frees you to pursue a second project.

    Good luck! Please update if there's news!

  • Investor · Port Jefferson Station, NY · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 12 votes
    9y
    I know this post is really old but don't want to start a new one... I'm looking into this house and it's a good deal however the kitchen clearly sank in the back of the house n u can see through the basement that it needs more support. It has dirt n cement with a wooden piece holding up that area but the tiles in the kitchen broke due to it sinking that much. Is this a huge problem? The house is kind of in a hilly area where the neighbors in the back r a lot higher so I'm guessing that when it rains it pits down to this yard. Should I pursue it? It's listed at $159900 (original price $235k) so they have come down a lot already. It has been on the market for a few months
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.