Closing Without Title Company

Closing Without Title Company

Rental Property Investor · Santa Fe, NM · Member since 2013 · 33 posts · 3 votes

I am buying a condo without a title company. I know most people will say to use one, but I've done the title search and am confident that the seller is the only owner and that the only encumbrance is a mortgage. I also already own 15 condos in this complex, so I know who the original developer was, and only had to trace the title chain back to him.

I have a statement from the mortgage holder, and I know what the payoff amount is.

Our closing day is going to look like this: I call the county clerk to verify that the seller is still the owner. Then we meet at my bank where the seller signs the warranty deed and I give him a cashiers check for the purchase price minus the mortgage payoff amount. Then we drive together (hopefully) to the post office and send another cashiers check to the mortgage company using certified mail. Then I drive to the county recorder's office and record the deed.

My question is this: if we drive separately to the post office, who should have the payoff check? That is, who should be more worried about that payoff not happening, him or me? In other words, does a mortgage attach to the buyer or to the seller?

Also, am I missing anything?

Thanks.

3Reply
279 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y

Yes A title company

See this reply in the discussion

37 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Santa Fe, NM · Member since 2013 · 33 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    of course I would report the transaction when I file my annual tax returns. Would I have to report the transaction anywhere else?

  • Rental Property Investor · Santa Fe, NM · Member since 2013 · 33 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    if I use a HUD-1, am I the transaction agent?

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    11y

    Where the h3ll did I say a buyer was responsible for settlement? You said it, not me, now keep reading and see how a buyer establishes their basis, who's responsibility is that?

    Is our buyer the one leading this seller into this transaction, suggesting to do a DIY closing? Think he has any liability there, if I talk you into robbing a bank, you think they won't come after me?

    If HE closes the transaction then HE is responsible, go ask an attorney.

    I never mentioned state laws, want to go there? Who can close a real estate transaction under state law? That will certainly vary, but I'll bet it's no longer up to anyone who just gets the urge to do their own closing. This is getting idiotic.

     The OP can do what he wants to, sounds like he's the type that will anyway, so, I'm done here, BTW, you didn't get to the accounting requirements, keep reading. Good luck :)

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @Britt Griscom 

    You are definitely the transferee

    IMO you are the one taking all the risk here.  Your costs should be in the range of $600-800 plus the cost of a title policy.  Why would you want to take all the risks for that amount of $$$ ?

    Other factors to consider :

    What if the payoff amount is off by $5 ?  You are going to have a difficult time dealing with his lender to make sure its paid off

    Are you going to follow up and make sure the release of lien is filed ? (Not sure if NM is a lien state)

    Have you verified there are no IRS liens or any other liens ?  At least do a search.  $100 or so in my area

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Britt Griscom:

    of course I would report the transaction when I file my annual tax returns. Would I have to report the transaction anywhere else?

    The reporting has to do with the sale.  Uncle Sam was the seller to pay up if need be

    You did not indicate what you were doing with the property ?  A purchase in itself does not create a reportable event

  • Rental Property Investor · Santa Fe, NM · Member since 2013 · 33 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    we are going to be renting the property out

  • Rental Property Investor · Santa Fe, NM · Member since 2013 · 33 posts · 3 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Greg H.:

    @Britt Griscom 

    You are definitely the transferee

    IMO you are the one taking all the risk here.  Your costs should be in the range of $600-800 plus the cost of a title policy.  Why would you want to take all the risks for that amount of $$$ ?

    Other factors to consider :

    What if the payoff amount is off by $5 ?  You are going to have a difficult time dealing with his lender to make sure its paid off

    Are you going to follow up and make sure the release of lien is filed ? (Not sure if NM is a lien state)

    Have you verified there are no IRS liens or any other liens ?  At least do a search.  $100 or so in my area

     As I said, I already did a title search. There were no liens. Just a mortgage that we would pay off in closing

  • Rental Property Investor · Santa Fe, NM · Member since 2013 · 33 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    OK Guys. I will use a title company.

    Thanks.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    11y

    Good to hear Greg talked you out of that! All real estate sales are reporting events, you'll see that when you see the 1099's at settlement regardless of the amount reported. Good luck :)

  • NV · Member since 2017 · 70 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    @Britt Griscom what you end up doing here? 

  • Member since 2022 · 1 post · 0 votes
    3y

    @Jeremy Tillotson how did you close without title on the cheaper deals?

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    Besides the liens that I previously mentioned we had another one happen to us.  After buying a property we go a bill from the municipality for curbs and sidewalks that were replaced BEFORE we bought the property.  Apparently the former owner got notice of the bill and knew that the sidewalks and curbs were replaced (it was owner occupied).  they failed to pay the bill AND failed to disclose the bill to us, as buyers.  And the lien for the sidewalk and curbs was NOT recorded at the courthouse.  Having bought and sold over 1,000 properties for my own inventory, I had never encountered this situation before.  I contacted the Title Insurance Company and they paid the municipal bills and then went after the former owner for reimbursement.  That was the only time I ever collected on a Title Insurance Policy.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.