Cash Flow or Appreciation: What the numbers say

Cash Flow or Appreciation: What the numbers say

Investor · Singapore · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes

There are pages and pages of discussion and opinions on cash flow markets (midwest) vs. appreciation markets (coasts). What I haven't read so far is a simple analysis of the numbers. Since I actually own properties in both markets, here is how I see the numbers stack up. Now remember, this is only the numbers, not counting work, risk, hassle factor etc etc.

Lets consider two hypothetical but typical portfolios. Each is purchases with 25% down and 4% interest rates. The midwest property returns enough cash flow to pay off the mortgage fully in 10 years if all positive cash is reinvested into principle reduction. This is possible and I am doing it on my midwest portfolio.

The coast property lets assume just breaks even even after paying the mortgage on a 30 year basis. Thats common with many coastal expensive markets and probably the lowest return I would accept as I don't want to have negative cash flow ever.

Lets assume we sell both portfolios after 10 years

On the midwest property lets assume 0 appreciation. Your total return over 10 years would be 300%.

If the coastal property would grow at a CAGR of 5% per year, after 10 years your gain would be slightly higher than this at 322%. If it grew at 4% per year it would be slightly less at 265%. So you would need something between 4% to 5% CAGR over 10 years for both these investments to have equal returns.

These are rough numbers, no closing costs etc accounted but I think it makes the point. 

So then you look at the risks on either case. Both have risks. Cash flow may not actually be as high as you thought and reduce returns. OTOH, appreciation may also not happen.

On the plus on the cash flow, at least some of it is in my control. The appreciation is a market phenomenon and mostly out of control.  And cash flow is independent of value of the asset. It can go down but the cash flow remains. Also equity builds fast and chances of getting upside down is low.

On the plus side of appreciation: Chances are its a lower time commitment and better tenants. Plus it has a better upside. The cash flow is bounded and you can only improve it so much. Appreciation upside is theoretically unlimited. But equity builds slowly and you could end up upside down in a bad market.

So I guess the point is there are pros and cons to both approaches.

9Reply
112 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Santa Clara , CA · Member since 2013 · 155 posts · 144 votes
11y

@Account Closed Something interesting I've observed, and maybe you've witnessed the same thing yourself:

In the Midwest, my properties all experienced the highest CoC returns in Year 1. Over time, maintenance repairs started to become more of a factor, and the rents don't scale nearly quick enough to offset those added expenses.

In the Bay Area, vacancy has been 0% and maintenance... I think I've spent $5 total in the last 2 years on a single bottle of Drano. I've heard from others (as well as from my own experience), many tenants will service minor repair items themselves b/c they don't want to disturb the landlord... Why not? It's a TOTAL seller's market right now and every tenant's biggest fear is an increase in rent!

I'm not saying that the above will always hold true... It more just illustrates what a perfect storm we've got going on in the Bay Area right now. Well, over the last few years... Tech is exploding again... Appreciation, cash flow, low vacancy, low maintenance, easy exit strategy, wonderful location (good schools + lots of jobs), perfect weather... What more could an investor possibly be looking for?

I'm an engineer, but I've learned not to be a numbers guy... If you fixate too much on the math, you might miss out on some "once in a lifetime" opportunities!

See this reply in the discussion

70 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    11y

    I'll take the cash flow every day.  You knew that though, didn't you.  Also, I've posted numerous examples, in detail, to show the comparison between the two.

  • Investor · Santa Clara , CA · Member since 2013 · 155 posts · 144 votes
    11y

    I also own properties on the coast and the Midwest and I'll elaborate a bit on my own experience...

    I don't think it's as straight-forward as to say it's purely cash flow vs. appreciation, pick one or the other. In the Bay Area, yes, I've seen a ton of appreciation, but not just on the value of the home, but the rent as well. So, even if you start off Day 1 in the Bay Area and the property is  break-even, it won't take long until the cash flow picks up. I bought a Santa Clara property in 2013 and at the time market rent was $2150. Today, it's about $2600.... and climbing.

    I also picked up a home in Indianapolis in 2013, and it was leased up for $1075... Today, it's renting for... $1075... Where will rents be in 2-3 years time? Maybe $1100? So, even though the cash flow appeared more solid on Day 1, it took little to no time for my Bay Area property to catch up and outperform. Not to mention way better tenants, and much easier exit strategy...

    What I've really learned is you can't beat location. If you buy in the right areas, you can have it all... 

  • Investor · Singapore · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    @Jay Y. Good point. My simple comparison ignores rental income growth but just assumes that rental income growth keeps up with expense growth (i.e maintaining  constant cash flow). 

  • Investor · Santa Clara , CA · Member since 2013 · 155 posts · 144 votes
    11y

    @Account Closed Something interesting I've observed, and maybe you've witnessed the same thing yourself:

    In the Midwest, my properties all experienced the highest CoC returns in Year 1. Over time, maintenance repairs started to become more of a factor, and the rents don't scale nearly quick enough to offset those added expenses.

    In the Bay Area, vacancy has been 0% and maintenance... I think I've spent $5 total in the last 2 years on a single bottle of Drano. I've heard from others (as well as from my own experience), many tenants will service minor repair items themselves b/c they don't want to disturb the landlord... Why not? It's a TOTAL seller's market right now and every tenant's biggest fear is an increase in rent!

    I'm not saying that the above will always hold true... It more just illustrates what a perfect storm we've got going on in the Bay Area right now. Well, over the last few years... Tech is exploding again... Appreciation, cash flow, low vacancy, low maintenance, easy exit strategy, wonderful location (good schools + lots of jobs), perfect weather... What more could an investor possibly be looking for?

    I'm an engineer, but I've learned not to be a numbers guy... If you fixate too much on the math, you might miss out on some "once in a lifetime" opportunities!

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 111 posts · 18 votes
    11y

    I have done both, the younger you are the better you are off investing in appreciation as you have time on your side and the return is probably gonna be much higher . the latex i am involved with at present time in self storage in Germany as you have fast appreciation as well as great cash-flow 

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 231 posts · 260 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Jay Y. Good point. My simple comparison ignores rental income growth but just assumes that rental income growth keeps up with expense growth (i.e maintaining  constant cash flow). 

     I think the rental growth is key.  If that wasn't part of the equation, then the answer would likely be more weighted to the initial cash flow property.  When you model out over 10 years a 4% rental growth rate vs. a 2.5% rate, it makes a big difference.  Of course who knows if you will really get a certain rate of growth in rents vs another rate, but you can tell where things are set up for that and are more likely if you do your homework.

    My overall view is that pretty much all markets are relatively evenly priced from a macro level when you take all these factors into account.  Many markets have higher initial cash flow and probably easier access to discounted deals, while others lend themselves to more forced appreciation plays and just have a higher overall ceiling.

    I personally like investing close to home.  That would be true if I was still living in Virginia, Indiana or CA.  I am not much of one for traveling 2000 miles to deal with directly owned real estate among many other issues of having property so far away, but to each their own.  West Coast markets are the big leagues and you have to hustle a lot more with a thin wallet.

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    11y

    Here is something that is usually forgotten, or not appreciated when hoping for a growing market.  Appreciation means higher taxes.  Higher taxes means lower cash flow.  This is one of the reasons why most of the cash returns are frontloaded in the ownership of  rental.  This is also one of the reasons why I prefer stable markets for rentals...and not crowing ones...and of course not "sinking ships".  When you have a stable market, you are better able to raise the rent to control the normal tax increases.  It's hard to keep up with both normal and appreciation driven tax increases at the same time.

  • Flipper · Riverside, IL · Member since 2014 · 23 posts · 18 votes
    11y

    I started out always thinking of the future and the appreciation I would gain.  Unfortunately, it was 2004 and the market was on fire so my understanding of the market was impaired to say the least.  As I continued to learn, I realized that planning for the future is extremely important but relying on appreciation is a crap shoot and I now look for solid cash flow.  Just my humble opinion :)

  • Real Estate Agent · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    I think most investors want the appreciation and rising rents This is exemplified by the major cities,San Fran,NYC ,San Diego, but it comes down to the dollars you have to invest and your location. 

  • Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2014 · 659 posts · 536 votes
    11y

    If your idea is to just compare cashflow vs straight appreciation, then you are missing the boat.

    In my opinion, the real money is in the "value add" component.  This can be done on apartments or commercial properties either through solving income problems or renovations.

    The money dwarfs the straight cashflow model.

    Another aspect is timing.  These "value add" projects can go up exponentially if you can buy when people are selling.

    I witness people making millions through single cycles.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 231 posts · 260 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Joe Villeneuve:

    Here is something that is usually forgotten, or not appreciated when hoping for a growing market.  Appreciation means higher taxes.  Higher taxes means lower cash flow.  This is one of the reasons why most of the cash returns are frontloaded in the ownership of  rental.  This is also one of the reasons why I prefer stable markets for rentals...and not crowing ones...and of course not "sinking ships".  When you have a stable market, you are better able to raise the rent to control the normal tax increases.  It's hard to keep up with both normal and appreciation driven tax increases at the same time.

    In most states it does, but in CA and OR there are property tax increase caps (I believe MA has this as well but not sure about other states).  3% in OR and 2% in CA is the max amount your property tax can go up each year, so if you can raise rents at a higher rate, eventually your property taxes will represent a lower and lower % of your rental income and cash flow improves year over year from that.

    I agree with Steve O. in that value add and forced appreciation is where the real money is.

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    11y

    @Matt Mason MI has a cap too...right up to the sale.  Then the new owner assumes the higher increase in one shot.  Do the math.

  • Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Joe Villeneuve:

    Here is something that is usually forgotten, or not appreciated when hoping for a growing market.  Appreciation means higher taxes.  Higher taxes means lower cash flow.   

    You got it cash flow backward!  Appreciation means NO increase in taxes!  Prop 13 caps our assessed valuation at 2% annually!  And I can access that appreciation equity TAX FREE through a refi/Heloc,  Repeatedly!  Hundreds of thousands of dollars tax free.  Repeatedly.  

  • Investor · Lancaster, PA · Member since 2014 · 53 posts · 60 votes
    11y

    Unfortunately, too many "assumptions" need to be made to even try to make a calculation.

    I don't invest for appreciation because that is speculation.

    Investing in cashflowing properties in stable/growing areas is the safest strategy IMHO.

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y

    I can't pick between one or the other. Like in part of the CA market, we get cash flow and appreciation. I am raising rents this year about 3%. In one instance I just raised the rent right at 10%. This improves cash flow. On the other hand, since 2012 we have had almost 50% appreciation. That is huge in my book. I personally would not consider markets without appreciation...and there are LOTS of houses I would not buy locally because they don't cash flow. They are both important...at least to me.

  • Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2009 · 575 posts · 496 votes
    11y

    Isn't the real issue with the coast property the fact that you have to time the market just right to take advantage of the appreciation..?     

    @Account Closed 

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Anish,

    As Steve and Matt mentioned above, forced appreciation is the way to go in our market.  We get both built-in equity and cash-flow.  If we buy things at FMV which is likely the case with out-of-state, are we really investing or speculating?  Being able to buy with a margin of safety would be great though.

    Jay made a lot of good points above, and I'm sure that has been your experience with rentals in our area too. I effortlessly self-manage 17 doors in SJ, mostly single units with a couple of duplexes. It's so effortless that I have thought about opening my own property management company.  I leave the apartment buildings to our property manager though. :0)

    I love it when people invest out-of-state.  That means less competition for me.  You have invested in both markets. What do you say? One or the other or both?

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Joe Villeneuve:

    Here is something that is usually forgotten, or not appreciated when hoping for a growing market.  Appreciation means higher taxes.  Higher taxes means lower cash flow.   

    You got it cash flow backward!  Appreciation means NO increase in taxes!  Prop 13 caps our assessed valuation at 2% annually!  And I can access that appreciation equity TAX FREE through a refi/Heloc,  Repeatedly!  Hundreds of thousands of dollars tax free.  Repeatedly.  

     Bob.  How do you access that equity?  With a loan..which increases your monthly cost, and thus reduces your cash flow.

  • Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Joe Villeneuve:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

     Bob.  How do you access that equity?  With a loan..which increases your monthly cost, and thus reduces your cash flow.

     When my properties appreciate about 9% annually rents have also increased about 6% annually over the last 40 years.  At todays rates the increase in rents on just one property will buy me $100,000 every 5 years.  Have 5 properties and that's $100,000 cash in yer pocket every year!  Sure beats that couple hundred dollars dribbled out every month.

  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    Anish, I think appreciation creates more cash flow over time. I don't see it as an either or deal. The increasing cash flow function is what happens with the appreciating property. As mentioned, if you look at how appreciation can compound cash flow with rising rents, eventually it leaves the 100% straight cash flow play in the dust. Some people speak of 1%, 2% but overtime cash flow after many years of appreciation can go much higher than that. 

    Some areas have appreciation and some don't. If the area does not then you can make up for some of that missing part with shear volume instead. It is a not a right or wrong question, it is circumstancial and usually historical.

    Thanks for posting!

  • Engineer · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Didn't Sharad from Chicago make this exact same post last year with an accompanying Excel spreadsheet to show roughly the same thing?

    @Jay Y.    I don't think you are making a entirely logical argument, especially for an engineer.  Of course we all realize that investing in San Francisco Real Estate would outperform almost any random midwest cash flowing property but that's using a biased data set to prove the exception to the rule.  And if not the exception than certainly an outlier numbers wise.

    As @Joe Villeneuve  said, your tax consequences will have to be considered when evaluating cash flow vs. appreciation. 

    @Kathryn Marchetti  made a valid point about appreciation being more speculative than cash flow returns on RE.  Certainly price is more volatile than rents, so a pecuniary premium has to be considered for that as well.  Of course that's much harder to quantify although we all know a risk premium exists and has to be accounted for.

    @Matt Mason   I'm not sure the math works out that property tax increase affect cash flowing properties worse then appreciation properties.  On selling, the current amount and rate expectations of property taxes are an implicit component in the market price.  In the meantime we pay some of it perhaps, but most gets stuck to the renters.

    Also I'm confused where you are getting your Property rate cap data in Oregon being capped at 3%.  Maybe this came from Kitzhabers girlfriend but last year my property taxes here in Portland went up about 10% , per property, on all my properties with the cheaper properties, in the worse areas, being affected even more, per capita, than my ritzier primary residence.  So much for the Portland lefts opposition to "regressive" taxes, apparently its ok to tax the poorer neighborhoods at a higher rate when it saves them money on their own home property taxes in inner Portland.  Go figure.

    At the end of the day I agree with @John Thedford .  Any investment in Real estate I make I want both cash flow and appreciation, and I'll sacrifice some of either to get both.  However if I was only willing to invest in my back yard I would only buy cash flowing property locally.  I've seen too many people on here with seemingly expansive real estate holdings in non-cash flowing markets that in one post talk about how much they own and in another post ask how they can borrow more money or get more equity of of their rapidly appreciating homes.  Not a great position to be in if the market dips, and a issue cash flowers don't have as rents are a lot stickier against market movement the the volatility of sales prices.

  • Investor · Singapore · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    @Account Closed I am happy to be in both. Its been an interesting experience. The midwest properties were bought as an investment from day 1. I bought them pretty close to FMV, and turnkey since I dont have the ability to manage the forced value add from a distance. And frankly, the value of the homes is so small, the absolute difference is small anyway. I bought according to my plan of having enough cash flow to pay them off in 10 years and so far it seems a reasonable goal. The end point is fairly predictable. I assume no appreciation but in fact I have seen up to 20% on some of them (supposedly, I will know when I sell) due to fortuitous timing of the purchase. But I did not get them at a big discount at that time.

    My Bay Area homes were prior primary residences which we kept as we moved on to other homes. As a result they actually cash flow now since we bought them several years ago and lived in them. 

    IN terms of effort and time, actually both are stress free for me. I just pay my PM in INdy to handle it all and he does it very well. The local properties I self manage with no issues, like you said.

    Projecting 10 years forward I expect to see significant equity gain in both cases (from paydown of mortgage and appreciation) and then I will decide what to do with it. I expect to exit the Indy houses at that time but would likely keep the Bay Area ones unless there is a strong need for the cash.  But to put it all in perspective, the equity in the Bay Area homes is 6X that of the Indiana homes even today so my eggs are far more in the Bay Area than the midwest. 

  • Investor · Singapore · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    @Ryan Mullin Actually timing doesnt matter. I mean of course if you could pick the bottom consistently you would do great but you dont have to have the crystal ball. I bought my previous home at the top of the market in 2007. At the bottom of the cycle in 2009 the value dropped less than 10%. I know because its a town home and my neighbor sold his out at the bottom. Now the value is about 20% above the 2007 value (not the bottom) and rising every year. So if you hold over a >5 year period, appreciation is a pretty safe bet. Will it cycle again? Probably. But 2009 was a end of the world type event and even then the value dropped less than 10%. So downside risk is low in my opinion.

  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    I think there are misconceptions regarding property taxes in CA. They go down over time as a related expense to the gross in CA not up. This was the legacy left from Prop 13 in the late 70s.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 231 posts · 260 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Steve B.:

    @Matt Mason   I'm not sure the math works out that property tax increase affect cash flowing properties worse then appreciation properties.  On selling, the current amount and rate expectations of property taxes are an implicit component in the market price.  In the meantime we pay some of it perhaps, but most gets stuck to the renters.

    Also I'm confused where you are getting your Property rate cap data in Oregon being capped at 3%.  Maybe this came from Kitzhabers girlfriend but last year my property taxes here in Portland went up about 10% , per property, on all my properties with the cheaper properties, in the worse areas, being affected even more, per capita, than my ritzier primary residence.  So much for the Portland lefts opposition to "regressive" taxes, apparently its ok to tax the poorer neighborhoods at a higher rate when it saves them money on their own home property taxes in inner Portland.  Go figure.

    I didn't say a property tax increase affects cash flowing property worse than appreciation property.  I was responding to another poster who stated that one negative affect of an appreciating property is a much higher property tax assessment.

    I don't live in Oregon so I don't know if you had some local increases passed by the voters in the last year that may have resulted in your increases, but there is def. a 3% cap as part of Measure 47 passed in the 1990s.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_Ballot_Measures_47_(1996)_and_50_(1997)

    An example of the benefits are for long time holders of real estate.  I have had my primary residence for 16 years.  The property tax has gone up about 30% over that time, but the property value has gone up somewhere around 190%.  Some of my neighbors pay annual property taxes well more than double what I do.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.