Buying an Owner Occupied Property with Negative Cash Flow

5 Replies

I have been reading a lot on what makes a deal a "good" deal and also about the 50% general rule.  I do have a general question about this as it relates to owner occupied real estate properties:

I plan on buying a duplex that I myself would occupy with my family and then would rent out the other unit.  For an example, let's say the property I'm buying is worth $200,000, but was able to buy it for $180,000 and I put $6,000 down payment on it, so my loan would be for $174,000.  Lets say this works out to $1,000/month P&I.  

So now let's assume I can get $1,600/month for the second unit property.  Using the 50% rule, $800 is for expenses and then $800 is left over.  This would produce a negative cash flow of ($200.00)/month.  Which is obviously the opposite of what your looking for in a rental property.  

Is this still a good investment?  The way I figure it, I am looking for a house to live so I am obviously expecting to pay a mortgage.  I'll pay the $1,000/month for the mortgage like I would expect, and keep that separate from my investment.  This means I would have $800 cash flow after the 50% rule if I separate the two.  

Does anyone else have any advice when it comes to owner occupied investments of what make a deal a "good" deal?  I think it would be tough for me to afford a triplex or a 4-plex.  Things are expensive here in MA....

Look at it as if fully rented, to decide if it's a good deal.  Also the 50% guideline for expenses would be 50% of ALL units rented, as your repairs, taxes, insurance, etc are the same whether you are "paying" rent or not.  You can't expect to occupy half of a property, for free, and still have it cash flow...won't happen.

Hi Nick, I suggest you check out a recent blog post by Scott Trench http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2015/02/21... that was recently featured as a top article in Money Magazine. It discusses some additional factors to consider when finding a place to house hack. On my house hacking property, a duplex, I actually charged myself rent when running the numbers, because I could not find a property in an area I wanted to live in that would cash-flow without charging myself rent. I was willing to sacrifice living completely rent free to get the location I wanted. That said, I know if I ever want to move, the property will cash-flow and be a solid investment property.

@Nick Noon

50% Rule says that 50% of your income will go toward operating costs.  In terms of a duplex, the total rent presumes rent on both sides.  Therefore, if each side would rent for $1,600, $3,200 total, then your expenses relative to 50% Rule would be $1,600/month - and that's not including the mortgage.  Including the mortgage payment of $1,000, you'd be spending $2,600/month on the building.

Originally posted by @Nick Noon :

I have been reading a lot on what makes a deal a "good" deal and also about the 50% general rule.  I do have a general question about this as it relates to owner occupied real estate properties:

I plan on buying a duplex that I myself would occupy with my family and then would rent out the other unit.  For an example, let's say the property I'm buying is worth $200,000, but was able to buy it for $180,000 and I put $6,000 down payment on it, so my loan would be for $174,000.  Lets say this works out to $1,000/month P&I.  

So now let's assume I can get $1,600/month for the second unit property.  Using the 50% rule, $800 is for expenses and then $800 is left over.  This would produce a negative cash flow of ($200.00)/month.  Which is obviously the opposite of what your looking for in a rental property.  

Is this still a good investment?  The way I figure it, I am looking for a house to live so I am obviously expecting to pay a mortgage.  I'll pay the $1,000/month for the mortgage like I would expect, and keep that separate from my investment.  This means I would have $800 cash flow after the 50% rule if I separate the two.  

Does anyone else have any advice when it comes to owner occupied investments of what make a deal a "good" deal?  I think it would be tough for me to afford a triplex or a 4-plex.  Things are expensive here in MA....

Hey Nick,

How I would look at it is treating one side as your residence. You should look at it in terms of splitting the property instead of paying a mortgage/renting a free and clear property. If you think of it this way, your paying $500 for each unit, so on one hand you have a $500 mortgage for your personal residence, and expenses and maintenance will be paid for by you as the homeowner. The other unit you expect to rent for $1600, 50% rule $800, but a mtg of $500 would be +$300 monthly cash flow.

Again, not saying its a good deal, I'm just telling you how I would use the 50% rule in that scenario.

Adam

Thank you all, this has been extremely helpful.  It seems like there are two ways of thinking of it.

1.  Treat myself as a renter and see it from the outside and see if the deal makes sense...and when I eventually move out and rent my unit, will the property positively cash flow.

2. Think of my side as my house and incur all expenses and mortgage separately as if I just bought a single family home and the 2nd unit was a single family home I was renting out.

I think i need to look at the property in the first way to make sure the investment makes sense, and look at the the property in the second way to see if I as a homeowner am satisfied paying 'X' mortgage.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.