baltimore tax / water liens - SHOULD I BID OR OTC?

baltimore tax / water liens - SHOULD I BID OR OTC?

Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 2 votes

Hi !! I am new here and a newbie to real estate. i wanted to know for newbie with a little bit of money (1k - 2k) , which would be the better option bidding online OR waiting & doing the OTC. I concern is that I may get outbid during bidding OR get a junk proper if I do OTC. 

Also, do I need the bid price upon winning in certified check OR do I just pay the tax amount & pay the bid amount if the property is not redeemed by the owner?

Thanks!!

0Reply
15 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 114 votes
    11y

    Hi @Kenda Bell!

    Welcome to Biggerpockets! Wishing you success in your venture!

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    11y

    @Kenda Bell the full bid price is only paid when you complete a foreclosure and record your deed. as the new owner. The day of the sale you only pay the lien amount and depending on how high your bid is, a "high bid premium" which the city holds without interest until the owner redeems and they you get it back.  In most MD online auctions you  pay by an ACH debit to your bank account. 

    Well you would only get a junk property if that is the one you choose! Choose well. There are good properties left over but you have to weed through a lot of junk

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    Thanks so much my BF & I are going to take a jab at it ...still not sure how to calculate the High Bid Premium ...

  • Investor · Beltsville, MD · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    Where do you find the property over OTC ? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.