Spread sheet economics.

Spread sheet economics.

Investor · Chorley, Lancashire · Member since 2013 · 82 posts · 22 votes

Last week I was looking at a seller finance deal on a Duplex, I was going to buy. That has changed for now and I have learned a very important and valuable lesson.

So the deal was my first seller finance deal and I was excited about getting the property, without going to the banks. The figures made sense and I thought I could negotiate a little more, in my favour.

I ran the BP software and everything looked good. I am somebody who keeps reasonable control on my finances, with a budget of “sorts” and that’s why, I could have come unstuck. It was not good enough!

When you decide to become a real estate entrepreneur you need to start strong. As has been said, you cannot build the empire states building on a 6inch slab. You need better foundations, make sense? It is essential that when starting out you take time, to build these strong foundations. Implementing good business practices early on is essential. It does not matter if you only intend to buy one house or one thousand, take the time to do this and you can easily scale up with little difficulty.

So my problem came as I decided to begin to do a yearly budget, to see my cash on hand for the rest of the year. I reviewed my monthly income and outgoings and projected this for the rest of the year, including planned and unplanned expenses. Now this may seem like something that is very basic, but I guarantee I am not the only person not doing this. I charted out two paths, one buying the Duplex with seller finance and one without. With it in black and white it was clear that I could be finding myself a little short, while paying off the down payment over the next few months. This simple error probably would not of landed me in the debtor’s jail but imagine this problem scaled up 5, 10 or even 100 times. This is how empires fall and fail!

So let that be a lesson, do your personal budget, and always do a forecast before committing to anything. With things written out in a spreadsheet it is clear to see what can and will happen. It’s easier to click a mouse and make a change on paper now, than to spend sleepless nights worrying about how the hell you can change things later on.

Hope this helps some more of us new kids on the block.

1Reply
16 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 183 posts · 22 votes
    11y

     Failing to forecast and budget is almost certain to cause problems.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    11y

    Good to see you look at a bigger picture. Properties offered for sale with seller financing by investors are almost always overpriced, they won't be a good deal. Seller financing is always better when you "sell" the concept of the seller being the bank when they have set a reasonable price in the market. 

    What you are referring to, in a very basic way, is stress testing. Where will you be in a deal if you have an emergency expense, the market falls through, your income changes and your credit takes a hit? Do you have an exit door at all times?

    Budgeting is the financial side, economics might begin with the consideration of risk vs. reward. Your opportunity costs of the deal, future demand and pricing of the "product" you are selling, rents or sale prices and market conditions. 

    Be realistic in your approach, know your limitations and build from there. Good luck :) 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.