Short term rental in Orlando - Ownership/Management question

Short term rental in Orlando - Ownership/Management question

Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 0 votes

My siblings and I decided to purchase a home to be used for short term rentals in Orlando, FL.  My sister and brother live in Panama (Central America) and I live in Maryland.  We decided to buy property cash in my sister's name only.  She closed on the house last week.  

Since she is out of the country, the idea is that I manage the property.  Our idea was that she gets all licenses (with ITIN) and all taxes for sales and use and tax on rental income is filed under her name.  

But now (while listing the home) I realize that if I list it in homeaway/vrbo and use their payment service and same for paypal payments, since it is my accounts, I can be reported to IRS (1099K) for such income (it is my understanding that this happens if they process 20k or more for me).  

The bank account has been set up under both our names, but I was wondering if anyone can provide insight as to how we can handle this situation.  While I could manage and pay taxes in all rental income, the property is not under my name...  I really dont know how to work this out.

Any help is greatly appreciated

0Reply
31 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Hagerstown, MD · Member since 2014 · 299 posts · 140 votes
    11y

    @Peggy Kelso congrats on the new venture!

     First off, I am not an accountant or attorney...

    I too have a vacation home in the Orlando area. It is highly unlikely that you will ever bring in that much income in one year. The main rental season is the summer and holidays, and if you brought in $1000 per week, you might see about $12-14K for the year. I also list on VacationRentals.com and its sister sites, and I have never received a 1099 from them. I know there are new rules for payment processing that requires them to do some sort of reporting.

    I would think just document everything and if something should come up you can show that your sister reported the income and you are just managing it. I think you can set up what type of listing you are doing...owner or manager.

    Maybe keep what you can in your sisters name, but you handle it. I have a manager that takes care of all business licenses and taxes for me. It is part of an agreement that I signed with him that he is allowed to do this on my behalf. Perhaps having some sort of agreement like that would be worth it.

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Thank you, Beth - I do not forsee receiving so much income from any of the sources (paypal or homeaway payments) but I am trying to get it clear in my mind so I can consult a professional if needed .

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.