NJ Quadplex - No Green Card Registered - big deal?

NJ Quadplex - No Green Card Registered - big deal?

Rental Property Investor · Mine Hill, NJ · Member since 2014 · 229 posts · 396 votes

I am looking at a property in North New Jersey, it is a quadplex. I called the Bureau of Housing Inspection to see when the Green Card was due, and they said that the house has never been registered; I have a couple questions.

  • Is a Green Card Required for a Quadplex?
  • Is it required even if the owner lives on the premises?
  • Is it required if the quadplex is two duplexes on one lot?
  • How did the previous owner get away with never registering for a green card? Is it a big deal?
  • If its not required what is the benefit of having a green card?
0Reply
25 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Mine Hill, NJ · Member since 2014 · 229 posts · 396 votes
    11y

    I found this on the Bureau's Website:

    "Exceptions

    Condominiums, Cooperatives, Mutual Housing Corporations. Though the Hotel and Multiple Dwelling Law provides that multiple dwelling buildings having a condominium or cooperative or mutual housing corporation form of ownership are under the Bureau's jurisdiction, the law also exempts sections of such buildings that: 1) contain not more than four dwelling units, 2) have at least two exterior walls unattached to any adjoining building section and where attached, are attached exclusively by fire-resistant rated walls, and 3) contain dwelling units that are owner-occupied (if both owner- and non-owner-occupied units are contained therein, only the owner-occupied units are exempt)."

    I'd still appreciate clarification.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mine Hill, NJ · Member since 2014 · 229 posts · 396 votes
    11y

    Okay so I just got off the phone with the Bureau of Housing Inspection. Anyway I pretty much answered all my own questions so just wanted to post what I found out:

    • A green card is required for a quadplex
    • it is required even if the owner lives on the premises
    • two dulpexes on one lot are still considered a quad.
    • unknown
    • unkown
  • Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Did you ever get a GC for this property? I am looking to convert a 2 resi + 1 commercial to 3 resi. This would mean a new greencard - will this be a nightmare?

  • Rental Property Investor · Mine Hill, NJ · Member since 2014 · 229 posts · 396 votes
    10y

    @Sal H. sorry I thought I had responded to this. After calling http://www.state.nj.us/dca/divisions/codes/offices... a second time, I was put on the phone with a much more knowledgeable man. He clearly stated that because the two structures on my property were unconnected, they were considered to be duplexes and did not require a green card. 

    So I didn't have to go through it all, wish you the best of luck through...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.