I am looking at a property in North New Jersey, it is a quadplex. I called the Bureau of Housing Inspection to see when the Green Card was due, and they said that the house has never been registered; I have a couple questions.
- Is a Green Card Required for a Quadplex?
- Is it required even if the owner lives on the premises?
- Is it required if the quadplex is two duplexes on one lot?
- How did the previous owner get away with never registering for a green card? Is it a big deal?
- If its not required what is the benefit of having a green card?
I found this on the Bureau's Website:
Condominiums, Cooperatives, Mutual Housing Corporations. Though the Hotel and Multiple Dwelling Law provides that multiple dwelling buildings having a condominium or cooperative or mutual housing corporation form of ownership are under the Bureau's jurisdiction, the law also exempts sections of such buildings that: 1) contain not more than four dwelling units, 2) have at least two exterior walls unattached to any adjoining building section and where attached, are attached exclusively by fire-resistant rated walls, and 3) contain dwelling units that are owner-occupied (if both owner- and non-owner-occupied units are contained therein, only the owner-occupied units are exempt)."
I'd still appreciate clarification.
This post has been removed.
Okay so I just got off the phone with the Bureau of Housing Inspection. Anyway I pretty much answered all my own questions so just wanted to post what I found out:
- A green card is required for a quadplex
- it is required even if the owner lives on the premises
- two dulpexes on one lot are still considered a quad.
Did you ever get a GC for this property? I am looking to convert a 2 resi + 1 commercial to 3 resi. This would mean a new greencard - will this be a nightmare?
@Sal H. sorry I thought I had responded to this. After calling http://www.state.nj.us/dca/divisions/codes/offices... a second time, I was put on the phone with a much more knowledgeable man. He clearly stated that because the two structures on my property were unconnected, they were considered to be duplexes and did not require a green card.
So I didn't have to go through it all, wish you the best of luck through...
Free eBook from BiggerPockets!
Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!
- Actionable advice for getting started,
- Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
- Learn how to get started with or without money,
- Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
- And a LOT more.
Sign up below to download the eBook for FREE today!
We hate spam just as much as you
Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate
Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing