I need help writting an offer for a land contract. which I currently live in

I need help writting an offer for a land contract. which I currently live in

Investor · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 4 votes

Hi I lived in a house for 1 year and my lease is up. I talked to the owner about doing a land contract and he is really considering it. He told me to write a written offer and give it to him to review it. The house is worth about 58k but I know he would accept lower because he sort of mention they are willing to take less with a large down payment.

Here is the written offer my wife and I come up with so far. Any input would be greatly appreciate it.

To whom it may concern:

We, jose and joanna , are writing this letter to declare our interest to buy your property at 47 quingy ave ionia michigan 49548

Our proposed purchase price is 45,000 for this property. Included in this purchase proposal, I am interested in purchasing the following:

  • The house, land, and associated property for the address given above
  • All furnishings and appliances associated with the property listing
  • I propose an initial deposit of $10,000 as an act of good faith. I would like to make the deposit two weeks from the time of the agreement.

    We do understand that the proposed purchased price might me lower than you had originally planned, but we want you to take into consideration the following:

    We have held a lease with you for over a year, and during that time we have never missed a payment and always made our payments on a timely manner; therefore proving that we will continue to do the same specially now that it will be towards accomplishing our life dream of owning our first home.

    In this past year we maintained a honest and caring business relationship with Betsy and John, always making sure to help as much as we could in regards to keeping up with their property and simply making sure that we were good tenants.

    We are ready to buy our first home. We have thought of purchasing your property because we are very happy with the size of it as a starter home, and can see our family staying here for many years to come.

    Finally we want you to take into consideration that we will continue to make our payment of 725 for the remaining 35 thousand dollars that we will owe, which would be paid off in less then five years.

    0Reply
    9 views

    3 Replies

    Jump to latestLatest
    • Corpus Christi, TX · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 0 votes
      11y

      Just IMO, but there is way too much emotion in your 'offer'. It shows you have an attachment and emotional interest to the property, which is fine, but this is simply a business transaction/proposal.  If I read that as the seller, I'm going to counter higher and betting on your sentiment, I will get the price I'm after.

      Your state should have a basic residential purchase contract available online. These are created by attorneys and provide a better legal position should you need it.

      Here is one I found:

      http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dmb/MPSCS_OfferToPurchase_318233_7.pdf

    • Corpus Christi, TX · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 0 votes
      11y

      Also, your payment history is irrelevant to this transaction. He knows you paid on time. To remind him of that may make him think you could just continue to be a good tenant.

      If that is your real address, I would take it down promptly..You never know...

      Good luck

    • Investor · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 4 votes
      11y

      James thank you so much for your input. I will rewrite the letter showing less attachment. also the address and names are not real. and thak you for the link of the form you post it I will also use it.

    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.