Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
David A.
  • Connecticut
Votes |
Buy & Hold... But with a tax consequence for selling within 9 years?

David A.
  • Connecticut
Posted Aug 6 2015, 17:21

Hey, all! I wasn't really sure what to call this post, so forgive me my scatter-brained topic! 

I'm looking into a few different options of ways to purchase a home once I get around to buying my first one late next year, and one of the more attractive opportunities is a state program for teachers who are teaching in-demand subjects in transitional/priority (read: poor) districts, which is what I believe I'll be doing in a year's time.

There are a lot of incentives, but the only big drawback seems to be that in "some cases" (super vague, can't dig up too much more) if you sell the home within 9 years and make capital gains, you can be charged what sounds to be a pretty hefty federal tax. 

My strategy at this point seems to be going toward buying & holding MFHs, so in theory this wouldn't be too problematic... it just worries me by not having a clear exit strategy should I need one; that I'd be cornered into holding onto a home that maybe becomes a burden/nuisance for fear of getting slammed with some unexpected loss come tax season.

Has anyone else here had a similar experience? Is this something not worth looking into when weighing risks?

Loading replies...