Craigslist vs. Realtors

Craigslist vs. Realtors

Investor · Ipswich, MA · Member since 2014 · 19 posts · 6 votes

Good afternoon! I am working with a realtor on some property opportunities and she has me set up in the MLS. But I also scour craigslist and some other FSBO sites for properties that might not appear on MLS. Does my realtor have a role in helping me set up a visit to a non-MLS listed home? Does she have any role at all in that conversation/deal, or am I on my own dealing directly with the seller? Just curious about other people's experiences.

Oh - and I am an out of state investor. I do have a boots on the ground partner but not going to lay eyes on anything myself.

Thanks!

0Reply
12 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2014 · 81 posts · 25 votes
    11y

    Bryan,

    I have a few clients who are in similar situations. A lot of times I will help out the clients and view the properties for them and help negotiate the deal for a small fee if it is off of MLS or an off market deal. If the agent is experience working with investors she should know the relationship is the most important part, not making an extra $1,000 on a deal. If she can provide value to you it will only help both parties in the long run.

  • Herndon, VA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 324 votes
    11y

    Since you are out of town, I would want the same level of service on both MLS and non-MLS properties. So I would pay the agent/brokerage 3% either way - even if it comes out of your pocket. One way you could use the situation to your advantage is writing offers. I would start with an initial offer with you paying the agent directly. If they counter, you can respond with slight net increase that looks more impressive because they would pay the broker in the next offer. This could be especially effective if it allows you to get over a mental boundary - like going over 100K.

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    11y

    @Bryan Satter quite a lot of FSBO's will offer to pay a buyers agent. I have successfully help buyers purchase a FSBO.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.