Craigslist vs. Realtors

3 Replies

Good afternoon! I am working with a realtor on some property opportunities and she has me set up in the MLS. But I also scour craigslist and some other FSBO sites for properties that might not appear on MLS. Does my realtor have a role in helping me set up a visit to a non-MLS listed home? Does she have any role at all in that conversation/deal, or am I on my own dealing directly with the seller? Just curious about other people's experiences.

Oh - and I am an out of state investor. I do have a boots on the ground partner but not going to lay eyes on anything myself.

Thanks!

Bryan,

I have a few clients who are in similar situations. A lot of times I will help out the clients and view the properties for them and help negotiate the deal for a small fee if it is off of MLS or an off market deal. If the agent is experience working with investors she should know the relationship is the most important part, not making an extra $1,000 on a deal. If she can provide value to you it will only help both parties in the long run.

Since you are out of town, I would want the same level of service on both MLS and non-MLS properties. So I would pay the agent/brokerage 3% either way - even if it comes out of your pocket. One way you could use the situation to your advantage is writing offers. I would start with an initial offer with you paying the agent directly. If they counter, you can respond with slight net increase that looks more impressive because they would pay the broker in the next offer. This could be especially effective if it allows you to get over a mental boundary - like going over 100K.

@Bryan Satter quite a lot of FSBO's will offer to pay a buyers agent. I have successfully help buyers purchase a FSBO.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.