Should I hire a lawyer when purchasing a short sale?

Should I hire a lawyer when purchasing a short sale?

Waltham, MA · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 2 votes

I am looking to purchase my first potential home for personal residence. It just happens to be a short sale. I have been told these can get messy, and with out a lawyer representing me I am at the mercy of the bank and their lawyers. I understand there is no such thing as a sure thing, but I don't want to approach this process under prepared. As a buyer do you think it is worth the money to hire representation, or am I just waisting valuable cash? 

Thanks, 

Jessie 

0Reply
19 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    10y

    An attorney will do you no good.  From the buyer side, it's just a normal transaction, that may or may not go through, and will take 60 days plus to get an answer.  All the bank negotiations take place on the seller's side, usually thru their agent, or a third party negotiator.  You won't be dealing with the bank(s).

  • Waltham, MA · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    @Wayne Brooks

    I figured that was the case. Thank you for your helpful response. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.