Here is an attempt to understand cash flow on a random property

Here is an attempt to understand cash flow on a random property

Specialist · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 870 posts · 345 votes

Hello,

I'm trying to understand and put to use what I've learned so far. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Here is an interesting property in Chicago. This is for an owner-occupied investment.

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/5717-N-Campbell-Ave-60659/home/13519475

Asking: $400,000
Bid: $375,000 (Unlikely)
Repair: $10,000
I'm an engineer and have experience in construction. So, I can do a lot of the work, but not all.

Property Cost: $375,000 (without repairs)
Down payment: $75,000
Total Costs: $85,000 (with repairs)

Mortgate Amount: $300,000 @ 4.0 $1,432.25 p month
Year One:
Equity $5,733

ASSumed Total Income for the Area (low-high)

1st $1,250 - $1350
2nd $$1,250 - $1350
Basement $650 - $725


Low End

GSI: $37,800
NOI - 50% Rule: $18,900

Cap Rate: 4.9%
ADS: $17,184

Cashflow of $1,716 or 143 p/month

High End

GSI: $41,100
NOI - 50% Rule: $20,550

Cap Rate: 5.3%
ADS: $17,184

Cashflow of $3,366 or 280.5 p/month.

I'm currently renting for $15,600 p/year -  1,300 p/month accounting for all utilities.

Many of the properties I've seen in Chicago have similar trends. This one could be the cheapest in that area, but who knows if they take $375.

I need to run a discounted cash flow to 3,5,7 years. Its seems that at least I get some yearly equity, but I need to figure out how to get it out.

Does something like this make any sence for an Owner occupied building?

Thanks,  

0Reply
13 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    10y

    The big issue for me would be that it is a 2 unit building being used as a 3 unit. I would want to clearly understand the risks of that. 

    My guess is it needs more than $10,000 in repairs.

  • Specialist · CHICAGO · Member since 2015 · 680 posts · 650 votes
    10y
    Take a look at what local properties have sold for recently. This is an area that Poole are saying is "getting warmer". If I were you, I would offer $300k. This is an area that is mostly three flats. I have looked in the area and the competition for renters is tough for that reason, but...if you are willing to live in the basement (makes sure the windows in the "bedrooms" are no greater than 40" off the floor and have nine square feet clear outside each window=egress) and rent the other two...it's a great start. Also, those buildings usually have an enclosed porch...if you can use a spiral staircase or build a legal st air case to the roof and give the top floor tennant roof rights...you can get far more rent.
  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    If Expenses > 30% of GSI, the property has issues.

  • Specialist · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 870 posts · 345 votes
    10y

    J Beard

    ( I'm yet to figure out to to tag someone).  The 50% tip used was meant for a quick assessment.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/06/14/50-percent-rule/

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.