renting in the winter

renting in the winter

Lansing, IL · Member since 2014 · 7 posts · 0 votes

I'm buying a house to rent out the only problem is that the closing will happen in December and after some rehab it may be January before I can rent out chicago has bad winter's should I hold off until spring a lot of people don't like moving in the winter and I don't want to have to pay the mortgage all winter 

0Reply
10 views

Most Popular Reply

Residential Real Estate Broker · Winston Salem, NC · Member since 2011 · 345 posts · 120 votes
10y

While it may not be ideal, if you have a good product priced and marketed right you'll get it rented.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Winston Salem, NC · Member since 2011 · 345 posts · 120 votes
    10y

    While it may not be ideal, if you have a good product priced and marketed right you'll get it rented.

  • Lansing, IL · Member since 2014 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    thanks Jeff the people on bigger pockets are the best 

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2015 · 374 posts · 120 votes
    10y

    What stinks is keeping the heat on while it sits vacant.  I'd still buy it.  You sometimes find better deals in the dead of winter.  Also, rehabs often take longer than expected.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 169 posts · 29 votes
    10y

    @Ken Oconnor

    You could also do a 6 month lease for the first tenant then either renew in the summer or get a new tenant on a year lease. 

    Good Luck!!!!

  • Investor · White Lake, MI · Member since 2014 · 38 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    I have a similar dilemma.  Closing on cottage in a resort area up north this month (area's pretty dead in the winter except for a couple of winter events).  Debating if should get in there, un-winterize it, pay the heating bill & electric through the winter.  Some people do VRBO their cottages during these events.  Still only talking 3 weekends or so.  

    I did check the local paper yesterday and there's double the amount of homes & apartments for rent as compared to back in August.       

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.