Differences in Multi-Family v Residential Real Estate - Search Cr

Differences in Multi-Family v Residential Real Estate - Search Cr

Investor · Los Angeles County, CA · Member since 2012 · 962 posts · 279 votes

Differences in Multi-Family v Residential Real Estate - Search Criteria.  I'm in Los Angeles County and Long Beach.

Hi I've purchased small rentals and flipped. 

I was wondering what some people who moved from small residential buy and hold to investing in larger apartment buildings went through.

Does anyone have advice for search criteria? price per unit, GRM, CAP, how do you generally go about searching?-- brokers, loopnet etc?

I've been attempting to contact 6-20 unit apartment owners directly but haven't had results.  

How did you find your apartment buildings, and what criteria.

1Reply
9 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Will F.I find my deals through relationships with brokers and with owners. I've also done some direct mail but it hasn't resulted in a deal yet. Are you looking for properties in your market? If so then perhaps start a blog and interview local owners in the area about their experiences (or, simply blog about it on BP - that would be cool too). By creating a forum you give them a relevant reason to connect with you. It's a long-term play but very effective. 

    Re: my criteria, from a high level I am buying B class properties, 150+ units, stabilized with a value-add component. 

  • Professional · Smyrna, GA · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Hi Will F. 

    There are many property listings present online where you can search your requirements.

    like:

    http://www.trulia.com/
    http://www.mls.com/
    http://www.homefinder.com/
    http://www.realtor.com/

    You can connect with homeowner, agent or broker with these sources.

  • Investor · Los Angeles County, CA · Member since 2012 · 962 posts · 279 votes
    10y

    Thanks Guys


    @Joe Fairless Yeah that is a good idea.  Especially for a long term play.

    I have a 1031 exchange right now so I basically have 6 months (well 5 months now) to locate and close on a deal.  I think that gives me time to find something.

    I've beent trying for a year now to reach out to brokers I basically have 1.5-2.5M$ to play with.  If I do a value-ad building I would most likely want to buy for $1.5M or less and put $200 or less into it.

    My criteria is all over the place because within the County of Los angeles there are so many variables-- closer to the beach, unit mix, older v newer buildings, unit mix (I'm looking into some mixed use), value-ad vs turn key, location, stable areas vs up-and-coming

    Argh...my head might explode just thinking about all this...

    I guess having 6 months to close is a good thing because it gives me a timeframe.

    The variables change because no building is truly exactly the same--or even near the same when you put boots on the ground.

    @Charles Royster Thanks Charles, I've tried those, for years. I'm just trying to get a slightly better deal than direct off the market. But directly off the MLS is probably the most likely way I'll find a property for this purchase. Thanks man

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.