Attic with lots of damp spots on the insulation

Attic with lots of damp spots on the insulation

Ames, IA · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes

I am in the process of purchasing a property in Iowa. It is winter here and the house inspector did not enter the attic due to personal items blocking access at the time of the inspection. I personally went into the attic today and I saw lots of damp spots on the insulation above the ceiling. The roof tiles don't look the newest, but they I've seen plenty worse. I figure these spots could be either from condensation or seepage. They were more common toward the outer edges and lower parts of the roof.

Anyone have any insight on what this may be the cause and what this might mean in terms of the roof needing to be replaced?

Thank you,

Scott

0Reply
41 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Des Moines, IA · Member since 2013 · 137 posts · 49 votes
    10y

    Scott,

    This could be condensation. Our weather has been cold enough that it would be conducive, however over the last month, its posdible Rain could have intruded... any evidence of ice dams? Is the home humid?

    Pics would help. Where are you located?

    Regards,

    Matt

  • Ames, IA · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    The property wasn't particularly humid that I noticed. I didn't see any ice dams while I was there, but it's possible they melted off over the last few warmer days. The part of the roof I was under faced south so it would get full sun. I didn't take any pictures sadly. In my noviceness I forgot to bring a flashlight and was using my cell phone to see. The property is near SE 14th in Des Moines. I live in Ames.

    The humidity question makes me think it's probably not condensation. There were just too many of the little wet spots. That would take an awful lot of condensation. I could be wrong though.

    Thank you very much for the response.

    Scott

  • Investor · Detroit Lakes, MN · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    If it is in multiple areas I would initially lean towards moistre. Is the attic ventilated properly? Is there a bath fan vented into the attic?

  • Clive, IA · Member since 2013 · 141 posts · 89 votes
    10y

    it could be ventilation ptoblems.  Too much and too little vents both cause problems

  • Ames, IA · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    I don't know the attic is properly ventilated or not or if a bathroom venting into the attic.

    If it is a ventilation issue then what type of contractor is the one to call? Should I still call a roofer or would someone else be better an diagnosing a ventilation issue?

  • Investor · Fox River Grove, IL · Member since 2011 · 28 posts · 10 votes
    10y
    Scott, Sounds like a ventilation issue as others have stated. In my personal home, I had it rain inside the attic with icicles forming on the nail tips inside the attic. Ideally, the attic air temp should be the same as outside. This is achieved through proper ventilation (air flowing from the eves to the top of the roof) and through proper insulation. A roofer is the guy to call - but you will need to find one that cares.
  • Investor · Des Moines, IA · Member since 2013 · 137 posts · 49 votes
    10y

    I'd be happy to take a look at it sometime-PM me.

    The bath fan into the attic could do what you describe.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.