Beechview, Sharpsburg, Avalon/Bellevue of Pittsburgh

Beechview, Sharpsburg, Avalon/Bellevue of Pittsburgh

Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 3 votes

Hi everyone,

I'm a new investor in Pittsburgh. Does anyone have any rental property in Beechview, Sharpsburg, Avalon/Bellevue area? I'm checking some multi-units in those areas, looks like I can get good cashflow. But I'm not familiar with those areas, any ideas of rent, future selling price, appreciation...

Thanks

Dechen

0Reply
40 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Gibsonia, PA · Member since 2013 · 828 posts · 260 votes
10y

since @Jeremy Pace mentioned it, I would like to add to my comment if I had to list the tenants according to reason my investor went to beechview is

1. Beechview   - Blue collar with job, working professional starting out, students maybe, occasional section 8

2. Avalon/Bellevue - Blue collar, working professional starting out, a lot more section 8

3. Sharpsburg - rougher neighborhood, but best school of all these area, a lot more section 8 and just rougher

for my families, they may look at other schools like hampton/NA/Pine Richland, b.c Fox chapel has Sharpsburg in the student mix.

There are worst areas than sharpsburgh

and there are better areas than Beechview

Funny thing about Pittsburgh is 1 bedroom rents the same in all the area, say $500-600, but the house price varies.  

avg 180 days sold avg 3 bed 

rent is $800-1000/mo  is all these area

3 bed in beechview 77K  25 units sold

3 bed in Sharpsburgh 85K 5 units sold

3 bed in Bellevue 125K 12 units sold

3 bed in Avalon 111K 12 units sold

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Gibsonia, PA · Member since 2013 · 828 posts · 260 votes
    10y

    following

    I've only been involved with an investor in beechview. blue collar tenants. $900-1000 rent for 60-70k SFR 3 bed.

    I have mixed feeling with Bellevue, will be showing multis there tomorrow, I'll update. all investor I send over, never bought

    I don't like sharpsburg, and most of my clients say no to anything in that area so I haven't looked into in years... 

  • Contractor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 885 posts · 359 votes
    10y

    @Dustin Lin

    Of the four locations listed, I feel like your best bet is Beechview.  Sharpsburg has a hard location to sell to people because of 28, and Bellevue/Avalon just isn't that exciting ... there are many much nicer neighborhoods that give easy access to downtown and robinson and cranberry.

    And Beechview has the T !!! What's not to like about that?

    (Disclaimer: I live in Overbrook, so I may be a little biased).

  • Real Estate Broker · Gibsonia, PA · Member since 2013 · 828 posts · 260 votes
    10y

    since @Jeremy Pace mentioned it, I would like to add to my comment if I had to list the tenants according to reason my investor went to beechview is

    1. Beechview   - Blue collar with job, working professional starting out, students maybe, occasional section 8

    2. Avalon/Bellevue - Blue collar, working professional starting out, a lot more section 8

    3. Sharpsburg - rougher neighborhood, but best school of all these area, a lot more section 8 and just rougher

    for my families, they may look at other schools like hampton/NA/Pine Richland, b.c Fox chapel has Sharpsburg in the student mix.

    There are worst areas than sharpsburgh

    and there are better areas than Beechview

    Funny thing about Pittsburgh is 1 bedroom rents the same in all the area, say $500-600, but the house price varies.  

    avg 180 days sold avg 3 bed 

    rent is $800-1000/mo  is all these area

    3 bed in beechview 77K  25 units sold

    3 bed in Sharpsburgh 85K 5 units sold

    3 bed in Bellevue 125K 12 units sold

    3 bed in Avalon 111K 12 units sold

  • Contractor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 885 posts · 359 votes
    10y

    @Jennifer Lee great insight!

  • Real Estate Agent · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 102 posts · 24 votes
    10y
    Dechen, I have a triplex in Beechview, and feel it is generally a pretty good cash flowing area. I've looked at multi-families in all areas you've mentioned except Sharpsburg. If it says anything, I didn't buy in any of those other areas yet, but that's not to say I wouldn't if the right deal came along. One thing with Bellevue/Avalon is the taxes are generally higher than the other areas you mentioned, but the rents are not increased. In fact they may even average a little lower, especially compared to the south hills.
  • Real Estate Agent · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 822 posts · 255 votes
    10y

    Hi Dechen, I am familiar with those areas as I live near Bellevue. I also list and sell in all of Pittsburgh areas with investors both local and remote. Please feel free to reach out to me so that we may discuss the issues you are interested in. You will find my contact information in my profile. Look forward to hearing from you. Thanks.

    Gary

  • Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    @Jennifer Lee@Jeremy Pace@Devin Woods

    @Gary Swank 

    Thank your for the useful information.

    personally, I like Sharpsburg because it's flat, no hills and FC school District, but houses are relatively small and very close to each other, 

    Beechview: of course the T is a plus, but with hills

    Bellevue/Avalon: easy access to 79,279 and 65, but with hills

    I know I shouldn't complain about hills since we are in Pittsburgh. but do you(or tenants) have any negative experience with it in those areas?

  • Contractor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 885 posts · 359 votes
    10y

    @Dustin Lin my tenants don't seem to mind that Pittsburgh (and most of Allegheny County) is pretty hilly.

    I think it's worth mentioning that Sharpsburg is the giant zit on the nose of FC ... so I wouldn't expect that to improve the rental situation/outlook there.

  • Real Estate Agent · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 102 posts · 24 votes
    10y

    I'm pretty certain that there is zero correlation to vacancy rates or rental income and the incline of the street in which the property is on. If there was anything worth considering in this regard, it would be whether the house is on the high or low side of the street.

    If you just have a personal preference against hills, I guess I understand (you could always invest in Philidelphia, I hear it's flat). In general though I would try to stick to more tangible requirements for analysizing deals.

  • Real Estate Agent · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 24 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Excellent discussion.  Is there a quick way to discover tax rates in the various locations (not just the ones mentioned above but the area in general)?

    Also, do you guys have a good, go to resource for getting a "feel" of the demographics and the pluses/minuses of a community or neighborhood?  

  • Real Estate Broker · Gibsonia, PA · Member since 2013 · 828 posts · 260 votes
    10y

    @Brent Sutherland 

    since we had same conversation yesterday. check out this thread about sharpburg and Bellevue etc

  • Contractor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 885 posts · 359 votes
    10y

    @Kyle Sutton

    Allegheny County Tax millage is 4.73, the municipality and school district millage are listed at:

    http://apps.alleghenycounty.us/website/millsd.asp

    http://apps.alleghenycounty.us/website/millmuni.asp

  • Real Estate Agent · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 24 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    @Jeremy Pace

    Thanks, Jeremy.  Very much appreciated.  

  • Bridgeville, PA · Member since 2013 · 395 posts · 105 votes
    10y

    Watch out for the taxes in Bellevue/Avalon it can kill your cash flow, Sharpsburg is a good school district and Beechview/Brookline is a good spot for the young professionals due to ease of public transportation.

  • Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Devin Woods:

    "I'm pretty certain that there is zero correlation to vacancy rates or rental income and the incline of the street in which the property is on."

    This is something I want to know but couldn't learn by myself or analyze! 👍🏼

    "If there was anything worth considering in this regard, it would be whether the house is on the high or low side of the street."

    How this works? Which side is better and why?

    any other factors need to be considered?

  • Real Estate Agent · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 102 posts · 24 votes
    10y

    Dechen,

    Generally the higher side is more desirable. This is referring to a street running perpendicular to an incline, so one house is much higher on the incline than the house across the street.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.