Can a Property be Deeded without Consent,Permission?

Can a Property be Deeded without Consent,Permission?

Real Estate Agent · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes

We had a discussion about a tenant in common property with a loan on it. One of the members deeded over the property without signature (acknowledgement) of the second party and now the lender thinks that the second party is responsible for the whole loan.

0Reply
109 views

Most Popular Reply

Greg H.Pro Member
Moderator
Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
10y

A deed has to have offer and acceptance to be valid.  However, even if the deed was valid it does not release one from liability on the note.  A release or partial release of lien is the only instrument that will get one released from the note

See this reply in the discussion

40 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    If you need a RE Attorney in Las Vegas, Let me know...I have a great one...

  • Real Estate Agent · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Thanks I know a deed in lieu has to be agreed upon I just dont think someone can deed their interest in a property without permission along with their loans and encumbrances Being a lender have you ever ran across that situation?  @Charlie Fitzgerald 

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    A deed has to have offer and acceptance to be valid.  However, even if the deed was valid it does not release one from liability on the note.  A release or partial release of lien is the only instrument that will get one released from the note

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockwall, TX · Member since 2015 · 891 posts · 701 votes
    10y

    @Account Closed

    As @Charlie Fitzgerald suggested, you should speak to a real estate attorney. In my (unprofessional) opinion, I think you are dealing with two separate issues here. Whomever is on the mortgage/promissory note, is ultimately responsible for the loan, regardless of who is currently holding title to the property. Second, one tenant in common can not convey another tenant's interest in the property unless they have the power to do so (like a power of attorney or business agreement, etc). It doesn't sound like that was the case, which voids any attempted transfer of ownership. 

    -Christopher

  • Real Estate Agent · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Thanks @Christopher Brainard I did not think so and I would think that the lender would have to remove one party from  the loan and transfer it to the second with agreement 

  • Lender · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    TIC carries a 100% interest in the property for all joint owners ...this is a legal issue ...

  • Real Estate Agent · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    this is tenants in common not joint whereby each has if they originally had a 50% interest they would still have a 50% interest 

  • Real Estate Investor · State College , PA · Member since 2009 · 594 posts · 173 votes
    10y

    @Account Closed

    I could obviously be wrong but a tenant does not need permission to sell their interest in a property.  They would need a court order in order to force the sale of the shared asset but that is about it.  The loan is up to the terms and how the bank wants to handle it.

    Let us know what the attorney says.

  • Real Estate Investor · State College , PA · Member since 2009 · 594 posts · 173 votes
    10y

    Sorry a tenant in common

  • Real Estate Agent · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    i know that but can they sell(transfer in this case) it to the other tenant in common without acknowledgement permission a acceptance,etc   @Account Closed

  • Real Estate Investor · State College , PA · Member since 2009 · 594 posts · 173 votes
    10y

    @Account Closed

    Oh i c.  Is that different then me deeding my house to your without your consent?  I would not think so.  I would expect the deed used for the transfer would require the grantees name and signature, just as any other deed.  

    I am sure you get a better answer than mine.  Keep us posted.

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockwall, TX · Member since 2015 · 891 posts · 701 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Charlie Fitzgerald:

    TIC carries a 100% interest in the property for all joint owners ...this is a legal issue ...

    I think you're thinking of Joint Tenancy, which would be equal and undivided. The original post indicated they were tenants in common, so the ownership could be split up any which way and allows for transfer of one tenants ownership individually.

    -Christopher

  • Real Estate Agent · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Christopher Brainard:
    Originally posted by @Charlie Fitzgerald:

    TIC carries a 100% interest in the property for all joint owners ...this is a legal issue ...

    I think you're thinking of Joint Tenancy, which would be equal and undivided. The original post indicated they were tenants in common, so the ownership could be split up any which way and allows for transfer of one tenants ownership individually.

    -Christopher

     That is correct and the other party does not have to get permission for the transfer but there still has to be acceptance and acknowledgment of a transfer 

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockwall, TX · Member since 2015 · 891 posts · 701 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Account Closed

    Oh i c.  Is that different then me deeding my house to your without your consent?  I would not think so.  I would expect the deed used for the transfer would require the grantees name and signature, just as any other deed.  

    I am sure you get a better answer than mine.  Keep us posted.

    I checked all my deeds and they only have the Grantor's signature (the person conveying their rights) and do not have the signature of the Grantee (the person receiving the rights). In theory, I guess you could transfer property to someone without them knowing, however, that doesn't transfer any of the financial responsibility or get you out of the loan in any way.

    -Christopher

  • Real Estate Agent · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Christopher Brainard:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Account Closed

    Oh i c.  Is that different then me deeding my house to your without your consent?  I would not think so.  I would expect the deed used for the transfer would require the grantees name and signature, just as any other deed.  

    I am sure you get a better answer than mine.  Keep us posted.

    I checked all my deeds and they only have the Grantor's signature (the person conveying their rights) and do not have the signature of the Grantee (the person receiving the rights). In theory, I guess you could transfer property to someone without them knowing, however, that doesn't transfer any of the financial responsibility or get you out of the loan in any way.

    -Christopher

     excellent so  the note would be a separate transfer? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockwall, TX · Member since 2015 · 891 posts · 701 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Account Closed

    Oh i c.  Is that different then me deeding my house to your without your consent?  I would not think so.  I would expect the deed used for the transfer would require the grantees name and signature, just as any other deed.  

    I am sure you get a better answer than mine.  Keep us posted.

    I checked all my deeds and they only have the Grantor's signature (the person conveying their rights) and do not have the signature of the Grantee (the person receiving the rights). In theory, I guess you could transfer property to someone without them knowing, however, that doesn't transfer any of the financial responsibility or get you out of the loan in any way.

    -Christopher

     excellent so  the note would be a separate transfer? 

    Can you better explain the situation and what is going on? The mortgage isn't going to transfer unless the lender approves (probably would issue a new note and require new qualification), which I haven't seen before. 

    -Christopher

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Christopher Brainard:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Account Closed

    Oh i c.  Is that different then me deeding my house to your without your consent?  I would not think so.  I would expect the deed used for the transfer would require the grantees name and signature, just as any other deed.  

    I am sure you get a better answer than mine.  Keep us posted.

    I checked all my deeds and they only have the Grantor's signature (the person conveying their rights) and do not have the signature of the Grantee (the person receiving the rights). In theory, I guess you could transfer property to someone without them knowing, however, that doesn't transfer any of the financial responsibility or get you out of the loan in any way.

    -Christopher

    You can transfer a deed without acknowledgement but that does not make the deed valid.  Validity is only upon acknowledgement which is customarily done with consideration($$).  In Texas and Nevada, the grantee does not sign to acknowledge

  • Real Estate Agent · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    basically if one tenant deeds his 50% ownership  to the other tenant  acknowledged or not does the first tenants liabilities transfer also?

  • Real Estate Investor · State College , PA · Member since 2009 · 594 posts · 173 votes
    10y

    @Christopher Brainard

    Read this, and your right, grantee never signs.  Never thought about it but it sounds crazy.

    Oddly enough, the person receiving the interest does not sign the deed. In most states you can file a disclaimer or deed of disclaimer that says specifically you were placed in title without your knowledge or consent and disclaim the deed.  

  • Real Estate Investor · State College , PA · Member since 2009 · 594 posts · 173 votes
    10y

    I guess you would find this out when you start getting tax bills.

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockwall, TX · Member since 2015 · 891 posts · 701 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    basically if one tenant deeds his 50% ownership  to the other tenant  acknowledged or not does the first tenants liabilities transfer also?

    No, the deed transfers legal or equitable ownership, it does not transfer any liabilities that person encumbered themselves or the property with. 

    -Christopher

  • Real Estate Agent · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Christopher Brainard

    Read this, and your right, grantee never signs.  Never thought about it but it sounds crazy.

    Oddly enough, the person receiving the interest does not sign the deed. In most states you can file a disclaimer or deed of disclaimer that says specifically you were placed in title without your knowledge or consent and disclaim the deed.  

     it is wild you can be given something without knowledge and might attach a liability 

  • Investor · Princeton, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Account Closed  Absolutely not.  The company that gave the loan has to release the debt.

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Christopher Brainard:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Account Closed

    Oh i c.  Is that different then me deeding my house to your without your consent?  I would not think so.  I would expect the deed used for the transfer would require the grantees name and signature, just as any other deed.  

    I am sure you get a better answer than mine.  Keep us posted.

    I checked all my deeds and they only have the Grantor's signature (the person conveying their rights) and do not have the signature of the Grantee (the person receiving the rights). In theory, I guess you could transfer property to someone without them knowing, however, that doesn't transfer any of the financial responsibility or get you out of the loan in any way.

    -Christopher

     excellent so  the note would be a separate transfer? 

     The note is typically not a recorded document in Texas or Nevada and can be transferred but that would be a lender to lender transaction.  The borrower obtains a release of lien when the note is satisfied or can release a co-borrow via a partial release.  Typically, a partial release is very difficult to obtain as the lender has no incentive

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    basically if one tenant deeds his 50% ownership  to the other tenant  acknowledged or not does the first tenants liabilities transfer also?

    Absolutely not unless otherwise spelled out in the terms of the note(I have never seen this happen)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.