To Turn Key or not to Turn Key, that is the question.
What is the better investment strategy? Buy wholesale and fix up a property to hold for a rental or invest in a Turn Key rental that already cash flows?
Don't over complicate this.
For whatever reason people on this forum give the impression that there are only two options.
1. A full blown gut job rehab.
2. A freshly renovated turnkey house.
This is just not true, there are more options.
Hookup with a Realtor and find an area that you are comfortable with. Look at some houses that are well priced and make some offers. Houses that were owned by little old ladies are great finds. They are usually in great shape but priced well because of how outdated they are. We have been very successful targeting properties that are decently price because they just need minor "love" to get them up to snuff.
@Account Closed Sounds like what a competent RE broker would do.
glad you clarified that you are not the owner.. then your a broker or a marketing company or a hybrid.. I get it .. no problem there.. like I said if folks want to pay for a service who are we to say they can't or its not worth it.. everyone is different.
Jay, I support all these statements and just to reinforce the fact the HU is a marketing company I am including a photo of the Marketing Agreement, it is dated April 2014, however was sent Q2 2015 to us. I cannot stand to listen to this argument anymore, maybe I cannot conceded to certain titles, but the writing is on the wall for this one.
Tough to argue with hard truth.
@Account Closed Sounds like what a competent RE broker would do.
glad you clarified that you are not the owner.. then your a broker or a marketing company or a hybrid.. I get it .. no problem there.. like I said if folks want to pay for a service who are we to say they can't or its not worth it.. everyone is different.
Jay, I support all these statements and just to reinforce the fact the HU is a marketing company I am including a photo of the Marketing Agreement, it is dated April 2014, however was sent Q2 2015 to us. I cannot stand to listen to this argument anymore, maybe I cannot conceded to certain titles, but the writing is on the wall for this one.
Tough to argue with hard truth.
We absolutely work with the better Turn-key Property Providers of the world...so, in that vein, we market their properties, but that's such a small portion of our business. The majority of the properties we recommend come from other sources. When we do work with the turn-key property providers of the world we, in general, don't use their management services for our clients. I don't know of any "marketing companies" that source properties to match investors goals, rehab them, market them to get good tenants in place and performs all ongoing day-to-day, month-to-month, year-year management for their clients like HomeUnion does.
But hey, we can agree to disagree :-)
@Account Closed Sounds like what a competent RE broker would do.
glad you clarified that you are not the owner.. then your a broker or a marketing company or a hybrid.. I get it .. no problem there.. like I said if folks want to pay for a service who are we to say they can't or its not worth it.. everyone is different.
Jay, I support all these statements and just to reinforce the fact the HU is a marketing company I am including a photo of the Marketing Agreement, it is dated April 2014, however was sent Q2 2015 to us. I cannot stand to listen to this argument anymore, maybe I cannot conceded to certain titles, but the writing is on the wall for this one.
Tough to argue with hard truth.
We absolutely work with the better Turn-key Property Providers of the world...so, in that vein, we market their properties, but that's such a small portion of our business. The majority of the properties we recommend come from other sources. When we do work with the turn-key property providers of the world we, in general, don't use their management services for our clients. I don't know of any "marketing companies" that source properties to match investors goals, rehab them, market them to get good tenants in place and performs all ongoing day-to-day, month-to-month, year-year management for their clients like HomeUnion does.
But hey, we can agree to disagree :-)
At minimum this has all been affirmation, that we were part of the chosen better Turnkey Property providers of the world, so I will agree to agree with this :)
Cheers!
Scott Hetherington for me it's simple. If you don't directly own the property you are selling then you are selling it for someone else. And if that's the case you are getting a commission on the sale. This in my opinion makes you a "middle man" or "marketer". I prefer to go directly to the smaller boutique turnkey companies that live and breath the market I am interested in. Just seems easier that way and works for me.
For everyone else wondering about turnkey investing my advice is find the right company and things will be fine. Use other investors referrals to find your match. A good company in a good market will make investing easy. Build a trusting relationship with that company slowly. After you get a few under your belt reassess and consider venturing on your own with some minor flips and rehabs by using the connections, networking, and experience you acquired through your turnkey experience. Experience is everything and turnkey can be a safe way to get some guidance, advice, and a good product.
Joey, could not have positioned this any better --#boutiqueTurnkey
Is Smartland all single family or some multi family?
You guys have a great website and I see that there is a page for small multifamily but it is blank. I currently own a few other turnkey houses and am looking to buy 1-2 more this year so I am checking out several options,
Thanks
Is Smartland all single family or some multi family?
You guys have a great website and I see that there is a page for small multifamily but it is blank. I currently own a few other turnkey houses and am looking to buy 1-2 more this year so I am checking out several options,
Thanks
Hi Allison-
Thanks for the shout out, great questions: will be sending more information via PM. Just to answer as a point of reference, Smartland services offer both SFR and MultiFamily. Happy to assit, will be connecting.
@Account Closed, Are Home Union Employees allowed to invest in HU properties? How many of the property advisors are actually investors also, is this something thats disclosed?
@Account Closed, Are Home Union Employees allowed to invest in HU properties? How many of the property advisors are actually investors also, is this something thats disclosed?
Hi Peter,
HomeUnion employees are definitely allowed to invest with their company. They are all shareholders and encouraged to experience what our investors do if they have the ability to do so. I know several have only because they've told me directly. I don't have a specific count though as we keep that sort of information private unless the individual investor give us permission to do otherwise and we've never asked our internal employees. Hope that helps.
-S