Buy and Hold Northern New Jersey

Buy and Hold Northern New Jersey

Rockaway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 3 votes

Hi, this is my first question posted on this forum, so please forgive me if anything I asked has been discussed before (or link me a previous thread, if you could be so kind)...

I live in Northern New Jersey, specifically Morris County, and I am interested in investing in single and multi-family.  I am just getting started learning how to analyze deals, but in my initial research, it looks like getting positive cash flow in my neck of the woods is going to be difficult.  Some areas that are a little rougher look OK for cash flow, but still not great.  I have also looked at Eastern PA (East Stroudsburg, Scranton, Wilkes-Barre) where prices are more affordable and cash flow numbers look better, but I am concerned about the economy, declining population, and vacancy rates.  Any ideas how I can figure some of this out and narrow down a market?  I have already researched REIAs in NJ and PA and plan on attending some meetings next month.  I also plan to call some preperty managers in PA to get some insight into vacancy rates there.   Am I headed in the right direction? Thanks for your help!

0Reply
18 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Englishtown, NJ · Member since 2014 · 76 posts · 20 votes
    10y

    there are many properties in nj that will give you 15 % return

  • Investor and Architect · Ramsey, NJ · Member since 2010 · 305 posts · 84 votes
    10y

    HI Glen and welcome. This area is very tough for buy and hold for all properties. Especially single family. The ratios of rent to price will not let you go out and simply buy and hold in good areas like others on the site who live in other parts of the country get to do. I started having this realization about 4 years ago.  Yes you may need to go into rougher areas or transitional areas. Also look to buy in ways other than mls. The upside is there is better appreciation here than in those other parts 

  • Rockaway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Thanks for the advice!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.