Renovation Loan question - homepath single family house bid

Renovation Loan question - homepath single family house bid

Investor · New Rochelle, NY · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 0 votes

Hi,

This is my first post on Bigger Pockets so thank you in advance for your help and advice. I live in the NYC metro area (Westchester County)

I've found a Fannie Mae Home (homepath) that I'd like to bid on and I have a few questions regarding the bidding process and the occupancy requirements.

First off, the house is being offered at $300K. I don't think it's worth more than $250 considering that amount of work that needs to be done. 

--> Should I start with my highest bid or should I start a bit lower --say at $235K and go up from there if I'm given the opportunity?

--> My second question revolves around the occupancy requirement. I'd like to bid as a homeowner during the First Look period, rather than an investor since I have no problem with living in the house, but I am concerned about being locked into a full year.  Do I have other home owner renovation loan options where I won't be bound to the 1 year requirement? What If I break the 1 year occupancy requirement? I have looked at multiple forum discussions on this but there seems to be a certain level of disagreement and it appears the occupancy requirement has been negotiated  by some buyers ---yet my realtor insists that in NY state there is no negotiating.

----> Last question - and this may belong on another part of the forum. Does anyone have any experience with black mold remediation? I'm just wondering how difficult it is to completely rid the home of it.

Many thanks

0Reply
33 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 60 posts · 27 votes
    10y

    The ability to submit an offer during the FirstLook period is dependent on your being an owner occupant for at least a year - it's unrelated to financing, it's a Fannie Mae HomePath requirement as the  current owner of the house. And, given the level of interest in properties, people are turned in for First Look violations all the time (particularly people who lost in the bidding for one reason or another) and Fannie Mae does prosecute. There's no ability to negotiate the First Look owner occupancy aspect of the offer.

  • Investor · New Rochelle, NY · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Thank u for clarifying that Julia. I think then I must submit my bid post First Look. Any advice re bidding?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.