Would you purchase a house where a murder occurred?

Would you purchase a house where a murder occurred?

Julie MarquezPro Member
Investor · Skagit County, WA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 807 votes

Before my life of BP, I found a great deal through the MLS on a house in an older A/B+ neighborhood. It was vacant, so we wander the property for a long while checking it out. I then went home and checked country records for anything odd. Next I googled the current owner of the home, only to find recent news articles finding him guilty of killing his wife in the home (she didn't actually "fall down the stairs" like his first account stated). Being that he was going to jail, his property was up for sale at a good price. I thought a long time about whether or not we should buy the house, I mean, it was a great deal in a great location! But his name and his story would always be attached to the home, so whether I lived there, rented it, or tried to sell it, I just couldn't detach from this horrific story. I know we should remove some emotions from the real estate business, but would you have bought this home? Why or why not?

0Reply
96 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
10y

No disclosure requirements in Maryland  for murders, ghosts, etc.

See this reply in the discussion

43 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.