House hacking opportunities within an hour commute to Midtown NYC

House hacking opportunities within an hour commute to Midtown NYC

Queens, NY 路 Member since 2015 路 130 posts 路 34 votes

Hi, 

I kind of gave up on the idea of house hacking within my area because of a few factors:

  • High prices in NY for not much value in my opinion.
  • Currently like where I am living and am a bit stuck there due to it being a co-op and gf not being able to rent place out for more than 2 years at a time.

Then I thought:

  • FHA loan could allow us to buy a higher cost multifamily property (if it makes sense) for very little down, and use a 203k loan to force a bump in equity if done right.
  • Can live there for a year, then move back to co-op and rent out unit we're vacating. 

I haven't thought about this for too long, so I'm not sure of exactly what type of property and price point I'd be aiming for, but something like a triplex or quad for 450k or under within an hour's commute to midtown by some type of public transportation. I could potentially drive if it was an absolute necessity, but I'd rather avoid it. I'd like to buy a place that needs some work, so that I can increase my equity and try to borrow against it to fund more RE purchases. 

Any suggestions for markets or tips for making something like this work would be much appreciated. 

0Reply
40 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber 路 Jersey City, NJ 路 Member since 2012 路 204 posts 路 109 votes
10y

@Sean Tracey - I'd recommend a few different places depending on where you need to get to in Manhattan.

If your commute takes you to Midtown East, areas along Metro-North make a lot of sense, though I don't know a ton about those areas. Guessing you'd get a little more bang for your buck in those areas as they're more suburban once you get up toward Westchester. 

If you work near Penn Station, anything along NJ Transit or the LIRR could leave you with a reasonable commute. Keep in mind that those trains will run less frequently than, say, the PATH, but they're convenient if you time the train properly. Most of these areas (in addition to Westchester) are more suburban than the options below...

Buses from the cities near the Lincoln Tunnel are an option, too, if you're looking to get into the vicinity of Times Square - Union City, West New York, North Bergen might make sense in that price range. 

For commuting downtown, anything off the PATH is convenient. Parts of Jersey City are still feasible in that price range. If you're open to taking the Light Rail to get to the PATH in the morning, that'd open up a few additional options as well. 

Other things to keep in mind - taxes and rent control laws. These will all vary by city. You should be safe on rent control on 2-4 unit properties but some towns around here can be quirky. 3-4 unit will also require a NJ state issues green card every 5 years I believe. Not a deal breaker - just nuances to be aware of. 

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor 路 New York City, NY 路 Member since 2013 路 263 posts 路 141 votes
    10y

    Philly is not far if you use Amtrak and many neighborhoods are on the come up.

    Connecticut is getting new Metro North Stations and many of those stations are an hour away

    Delaware is about an hour and a half on Amtrak and many law firms are moving there as well as credit card companies

    Jersey outside of Bergen county may also be good both price and tax wise. 

    No matter where you go remember you can fight the taxes.  A friend of mine is in Jersey City doing a rehab and got them to knock off $6000.  They may try to go back up after she is finished. 

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Wyckoff, NJ 路 Member since 2016 路 50 posts 路 23 votes
    10y

    Sean, Bergen County is a good place for rentals. Since you are looking for a MF to own and rent, look into places like Bergenfield, Elmwood Park, Saddle Brook, Rutherford - great commute, reasonable (for Bergen Co) taxes, family-oriented stable renters looking for good schools. Good luck!

  • Queens, NY 路 Member since 2015 路 130 posts 路 34 votes
    10y

    @Lelith Walker thanks very much for the suggestions. I hadn't thought about Philly or Connecticut. I'll definitely look into the Metro North development there. I'd imagine that could make a location much more attractive. Great tip about fighting the taxes. I'll keep that in mind. 

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Greenwich, CT 路 Member since 2015 路 4k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Sean Tracey, I'm in NYC and looking at where to invest. Stamford has some opportunity, but you really have to choose well. Some areas are crappy and others are too expensive to make sense.

    @Lelith Walker, do you have any links for the Metro-North expansion. I couldn't find anything committed. Just talk around expanding the Danbury line.

  • Investor 路 New York City, NY 路 Member since 2013 路 263 posts 路 141 votes
    10y

    @Jaysen Medhurst

    I heard about it first at REIA NYC but this is the link I see. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Haven_Line#Service_expansions

  • Queens, NY 路 Member since 2015 路 130 posts 路 34 votes
    10y

    Thanks @Olga Roginkin. I started checking out some of the places you mentioned. Looks promising.

  • Flipper/Rehabber 路 Jersey City, NJ 路 Member since 2012 路 204 posts 路 109 votes
    10y

    @Sean Tracey - I'd recommend a few different places depending on where you need to get to in Manhattan.

    If your commute takes you to Midtown East, areas along Metro-North make a lot of sense, though I don't know a ton about those areas. Guessing you'd get a little more bang for your buck in those areas as they're more suburban once you get up toward Westchester. 

    If you work near Penn Station, anything along NJ Transit or the LIRR could leave you with a reasonable commute. Keep in mind that those trains will run less frequently than, say, the PATH, but they're convenient if you time the train properly. Most of these areas (in addition to Westchester) are more suburban than the options below...

    Buses from the cities near the Lincoln Tunnel are an option, too, if you're looking to get into the vicinity of Times Square - Union City, West New York, North Bergen might make sense in that price range. 

    For commuting downtown, anything off the PATH is convenient. Parts of Jersey City are still feasible in that price range. If you're open to taking the Light Rail to get to the PATH in the morning, that'd open up a few additional options as well. 

    Other things to keep in mind - taxes and rent control laws. These will all vary by city. You should be safe on rent control on 2-4 unit properties but some towns around here can be quirky. 3-4 unit will also require a NJ state issues green card every 5 years I believe. Not a deal breaker - just nuances to be aware of. 

  • Queens, NY 路 Member since 2015 路 130 posts 路 34 votes
    10y

    Thanks for the detailed response @Ryan Goldfarb I'll check out the areas along those transportation lines. Do you have an opinion on Mount Vernon? I'm totally in the dark about it, but after a quick glance at the numbers it looked more realistic in terms of my price range. 

  • Queens, NY 路 Member since 2015 路 130 posts 路 34 votes
    10y

    Thanks for the reply @Jaysen Medhurst. I'll take a look at Stamford. 

  • Real Estate Broker 路 Greenwich, CT 路 Member since 2015 路 65 posts 路 28 votes
    10y

    @Sean Traceyyes @Jaysen Medhurst has a great point. Stamford has turned around big time in the last 5-10 years. Their improvements to an area called Harbor Point are amazing and all rentals. But the surrounding areas over there have not gentrified yet.

    In addition, Downtown has added a ton of new luxury buildings to satisfy the demand, but again they are mostly luxury rentals.  Their are multifamilys near downtown Stamford, but you do have to be careful that you aren't too far from the downtown or harbor point areas.

    In general I think Stamford's biggest marketing tool is their Alive at 5 series during the summer. You get all of Fairfield County CT attending and being exposed to the downtown area. I think that is the reason for constant inflow of renters. Check out their lineup this year  

    http://stamford-downtown.com/events/alivefive-outdoor-summer-concert-series/#.Vz4FHfP2Z9A

    Hope some of this helps.

    Please excuse any typos.

     
  • Real Estate Broker 路 Windsor, CT 路 Member since 2015 路 1k+ posts 路 268 votes
    10y

    @Sean Tracey if you need any help seeing available in Connecticut near Metro I would suggest focusing in areas such as Fairfield and New Haven County. (ie: Bridgeport, Fairfield Norwalk, New Haven) 

  • Bridgeport, CT 路 Member since 2016 路 4 posts 路 2 votes
    10y

    @Melissa Gittens which neighborhoods in Bridgeport would u recommend if one is looking to invest in multi family homes? 

  • Real Estate Broker 路 Windsor, CT 路 Member since 2015 路 1k+ posts 路 268 votes
    10y

    It depends on your strategy. If you plan to house hack then i would look on the north end ie: 06604 near black rock or closer to stratford CT line. If you are looking for properties to just rent out it really doesnt matter because in that instance you have to make sure the numbers work. @Ayanda Bailey I hope that helps to answer your question. Bridgeport, CT has alot of great properties and they are going fast

  • Bridgeport, CT 路 Member since 2016 路 4 posts 路 2 votes
    10y

    @Melissa Gittens thank you, I was thinking the same thing. Im going for house hacking first, than grown from there... I'm so excited since this will be my first investment 馃槃 Hopefully everything works out well for me. 

  • Real Estate Broker 路 Windsor, CT 路 Member since 2015 路 1k+ posts 路 268 votes
    10y

    @Ayanda Bailey your welcome i would even try areas out side of Bridgeport, such as New Haven or Shelton CT 

  • Bridgeport, CT 路 Member since 2016 路 4 posts 路 2 votes
    10y

    @Melissa Gittens will definitely check them out. Thank u so much! 馃槉

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.