Question on Starting a Property Management Company in PA

Question on Starting a Property Management Company in PA

Investor · Greencastle, PA · Member since 2016 · 67 posts · 24 votes

Since I live in PA and will be focusing on PA and MD rentals I'm thinking of starting my own property management company to manage my own properties.  I won't be managing properties I don't own.  The law in PA for management companies states the following.

If a property manager is going to lease, list or manage real estate, he or she will need a broker' s license. A salesperson working under a broker may engage in such activities.

Am I correct to assume that If I have a real estate license and hang my license with a local broker I can legally start the company in PA?

Thanks

0Reply
14 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Cumming, GA · Member since 2015 · 261 posts · 199 votes
    10y

    If you will only manage homes you own, I don't think you need to work under a broker nor have a license.   I think more rules/regulations kick in once you get your portfolio above 10 units.  

    Check with a real estate attorney but the law above says property manager, not property owner.  

  • Investor · Greencastle, PA · Member since 2016 · 67 posts · 24 votes
    10y

    @Phil Earley thanks for the info.  I'll check with my attorney

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.