Advice needed on Capital Gains and Paying Off Debt

Advice needed on Capital Gains and Paying Off Debt

Flipper · Winston Salem, NC · Member since 2009 · 159 posts · 32 votes

I am about to list my current home for sale.  I am in contract on another property.  I have about $50k to $60k in equity on the current property.  I would like to roll half of that equity into the new property and use the remaining part to pay off my car loan of $25k, thus reducing my debt to income ratio.

I know that if you invest your equity into real estate that you do not have to pay capital gains tax on it.  What I do not know is if I roll part of that into my car, is it considered a tax free investment as well?  Or does that only apply to real estate investments?

The lender wants me to pay off one of my credit cards with a $5k balance and a $10k limit, plus close the account. FHA requires proof that the account is closed. I only have one other credit card of $2k. I suggested paying off the auto loan instead, because I feel like closing my credit card account will only hurt my credit score and eliminate established credit that I worked so hard for. You have the best credit score by having about 2 credit cards with low credit utilization. The length of time your accounts have been open also is important. By closing that card, I wipe out part of my credit history, reduce my available credit to debt ratio, and would then only have one credit line.

Paying off the credit card instead of the auto loan means several other things.  Less to potential cost of capital gains tax and more money to roll into the property.

I do realize that paying off the auto loan also has a negative impact on my credit, but I don't think it is as severe.

So, I am trying to figure out the best plan of action.  Pay off the credit card or the auto loan?  And how does capital gains tax play a roll in it?

Thanks!

0Reply
27 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Tempe, AZ · Member since 2012 · 874 posts · 648 votes
    10y
    If you sell your primary residence, in which you have lived for at least 2 of the past 5 years, your gains will not be taxed. You can then take that tax-free money and do what you please with it, including paying off any and all debts.
  • Specialist · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 870 posts · 345 votes
    10y

    You don't pay capital gains on the sell of your primary residence, certain conditions apply. Talk  to your accountant.   You can do whatever you want with that money, even paying your car.  A car is a liability, not an investment. 

    I wouldn't recommend closing credit cards, it will affect your FICO.  Instead, see if paying it off is sufficient.  You are correct, account longevity counts, too. 

    Go to:  CreditKarma.com and pull your scores

    You need to assess not only the amount, but also the terms. What's your interest rate on each account, what's the revolving balance on your accounts. Have you consider simply selling your car and getting something cheaper?  Put this into perspective, you have a $50K in equity, but $25,000 due on a car. It may not be your best strategy to keep  the car, but it may be. You didn't provide enough data. 

    Go to https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=2 and ask the experts.

    Best of luck, 

  • Flipper · Winston Salem, NC · Member since 2009 · 159 posts · 32 votes
    10y

    I have not lived in the property for at least 2 years, which is the requirement for that exception.

  • Flipper · Winston Salem, NC · Member since 2009 · 159 posts · 32 votes
    10y

    @Frank S. I just recently bought a Ford Fusion Hybrid.  It is part of my goals and serves me extremely well on gas mileage for the amount of driving I do.  I do not want to get rid of it.

    I cannot just pay the cards off, as FHA requires proof that they are paid and closed.

    I already have FICO and report monitoring with MyFICO.  I know what my scores are.  I have been watching them closely.  I do not want to damage them.  

    I have considered the interest rates as well, but the priority here is making sure my DTI falls in line and that I am not killed on capital gains costs. Paying off the car will dramatically reduce the monthly financial burden as well. The goal is to have the car and loans all paid off in the near future anyway.

    Thanks for the info!

  • Specialist · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 870 posts · 345 votes
    10y

    Did you try a different lender?

    https://www.guaranteedrate.com/home-loans/fha-loan...

    Check this info, it may or may not be true.

    http://themortgagereports.com/17820/new-credit-car...

    Under the new rules, which apply to conforming mortgages, credit card debt is treated differently.

    For credit cards which are paid in full at closing, lenders are no longer required to "close" the credit card in order to exclude it from the applicant's debt-to-income (DTI)calculation.

    A credit card paid-in-full no longer counts against an applicant's DTI.

    one more:  http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/Lender-wants-u...

    Talk to an accountant, you need some creative ways to soften the blow after selling your house. Can the car be consider a business expense? Can you move it to an LLC? How about maximizing your IRAs? How about a 1031 exchanges, etc.

    Try Bogleheads first.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.