The Vistas in Laurel Maryland

The Vistas in Laurel Maryland

Bethesda, MD · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 2 votes

Recently looked at a few condos located in The Vistas in Laurel MD. I am wondering if anyone else has any experience investing at The Vistas. If so, just looking for any lessons learned or feedback you may have. Thanks. 

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
10y

I know the Vistas. I think they are non warrantable. I actually kind of like them, but there is a lot of deferred exterior maintenance. That combined with the nonwarrantable aspect makes me think they are having financial difficulties. That wouldn't nessecarily scare me off of them, but I think they have a higher likelihood of a special assessment due to those factors.

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Colorado Springs · Member since 2016 · 232 posts · 150 votes
    10y

    No, I haven't bought in Laurel, however I  do you know that Laurel is split between two counties: PG and Howard. It's more desirable for people with kids to be in Howard county because the schools are much much better.

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    10y

    I know the Vistas. I think they are non warrantable. I actually kind of like them, but there is a lot of deferred exterior maintenance. That combined with the nonwarrantable aspect makes me think they are having financial difficulties. That wouldn't nessecarily scare me off of them, but I think they have a higher likelihood of a special assessment due to those factors.

  • Investor · DMV Maryland · Member since 2013 · 867 posts · 370 votes
    10y

    @Daniel Waldo - I agree with Russell... you'd have to weigh the possibilities of special assessments due to age, the  foreclosure rate and the deferred maintenance.  That being said there is a lot of activity in the areas around Laurel Lakes, the Vistas being one of those communities.  The city is also finally dredging the lake which is very nice for those living near it. 

    Laurel is actually split between 3 counties - PG, Anne Arundel and Howard  that I definitively know of.  It could actually be 4 because there is a portion that runs right up to the MoCo line and it could still be considered Laurel.. not Burtonsville quite yet.

    There are good schools and "bad" schools in every county.  The reality is not everyone can afford to live where there are "good" schools.  Thoroughly analyze your areas based on your investing goals.  There are plenty of people that want to live in Laurel because of the amenities it has and they can afford it. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.