question on property age when buying for long term hold and rent

question on property age when buying for long term hold and rent

Redmond, WA · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Hi,

I am new member from the Pacific NW, looking for the first single family house purchase out of state.

I have contacted a few turnkey providers in TX/TN/FL, and looking through the stock it appears that most of the houses are originally built a while back (in sixties/seventies).

I could image the property would have positive cash flow for like 5-10, or even 15 years, but then at some point the repair costs would increase to the point when it would need another major rehab.

This concerns me because I am planning to buy as a long-term investment with a conventional 30 years mortgage (20% down) and use the positive cash flow to pay off the principal faster (15-20 years) with the goal of using the rent to compliment the retirement after the house is paid in full.

Obviously, I would need to have more than 1 property (more like 6-10) to add up to some reasonable amount, and the properties would have to keep renting without a lot of costly repairs for another 20-30 years for the plan to make sense.

The only way I could see this working is to buy newer properties (built less than 5-10 years ago) in the first place.

So I was wondering if it makes sense to stay in the same properties for that long. What is the usual time horizon you consider when making buy-and-hold investments like this and how old of the house you would consider as an investment?

I hope that if I diversify well enough across the country (or even across the world) and purchase reasonably new houses I would only have to make minor adjustments to the overall portfolio in the next 30+ years.

Does it actually sound reasonable to you?

Sergey

0Reply
16 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Amarillo, TX · Member since 2015 · 44 posts · 6 votes
    10y
    From my understanding most the newer the property will result in lower cash flow. Older properties between 15-20 years that are in good shape and bought right could yield good cash flow and have a good amount of equity in them. Once again, the key is to understand your goal and what it is you want to do. For example, newer properties will typically reduce the stress of having any cap ex issues, but his is all relative to your market and the analysis of the deal.
  • Redmond, WA · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Thanks, Robert!

    I am still quite new to this and keep reading and listening to podcasts to educate myself more.

    Sergey

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.