Is this free money? Or am I missing something?

Is this free money? Or am I missing something?

New York, NY · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 3 votes

Ok ok, I know there is no such thing as free money. Here is the deal:

I'm in Austin, Texas, looking in the 78702 area code (north of the river and close to downtown). Up and coming area. Everything I've seen in this area has been 200k+ for 1 bedroom, 325k+ for 2 bedrooms. 

Now, I'm looking at a unit in a set of 3 buildings to be built in early 2017. The buildings have a total of 44 units, 33 of which are reserved for low income families, under SMART housing. The requirements look very similar to Section 8. For a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, the price is 235k. 3k taxes, 250$ a month HOA. This seems like a great deal to me. However, I have a few questions: Am I required to rent to low-income renters? How do they decide which 33 are reserved? Is there some other risk I'm missing here?

It seems like a great chance to own property close to downtown, there seems like no way people don't pay 1800$ a month for the unit (balcony, laundry, 1200 sq feet). In a few years it should be very cash flow positive, no? 


Thanks all!!

1Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 181 posts · 75 votes
10y

Hey Mike, I think I found the project. There are some documents in the MLS about the SMART program. In the FAQ section, I found this:

Can the homeowner ever lease his/her property to a third party? No, that would defeat the purpose and spirit of selling the home to a qualified affordable buyer. By renting the home to a third party, the homeowner would effectively become an investor.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 181 posts · 75 votes
    10y

    Hi Mike - I'm also here in Austin. What project is this? My question is - will the HOA allow you to rent the property? In some situations like these, you are prohibited from renting the property because they want to maintain the feel of an owner occupied building.

  • Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 181 posts · 75 votes
    10y

    Hey Mike, I think I found the project. There are some documents in the MLS about the SMART program. In the FAQ section, I found this:

    Can the homeowner ever lease his/her property to a third party? No, that would defeat the purpose and spirit of selling the home to a qualified affordable buyer. By renting the home to a third party, the homeowner would effectively become an investor.

  • New York, NY · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Ahhh Carrie. Thank you for that. I guess it was too good to be true. 

    FINAL VERDICT: MIKE WAS MISSING SOMETHING

  • Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 181 posts · 75 votes
    10y

    What are your investment goals? 

  • New York, NY · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Finding SFH or other turnkey rental properties near Austin with a cap rate of 7.5%+

    I'm defining Cap as ((rental income - insurance - property taxes) / purchase price)

  • Rental Property Investor · Lawrenceville, GA · Member since 2014 · 32 posts · 12 votes
    10y
    You're not gonna have any vacancies or maintenance Mike Shaw ?
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.