Bexar County San Antonio Courthouse Auction

Bexar County San Antonio Courthouse Auction

San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 86 posts · 13 votes

I'm interested in purchasing foreclosure properties at the Bexar County San Antonio Courthouse auction on the first Tuesdays of the month. I've read a number of articles on the bidding process but I still have some questions as to procedures. Be great to talk with someone who's familiar with the process.

Thanks,

Chuck

1Reply
159 views

Most Popular Reply

Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
10y

Basically, its an auction type of sale, the winning bidder has to have funds right then in cashier checks. Its your house.

There are quite a few drawbacks to bidding at the sale:

You usually can not get into the home before purchasing it.

You dont know what the person getting foreclosed on will do with the property as you try to evict them if it goes that way.

There are lots of people bidding up prices making most of these properties, not really good deals.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    Basically, its an auction type of sale, the winning bidder has to have funds right then in cashier checks. Its your house.

    There are quite a few drawbacks to bidding at the sale:

    You usually can not get into the home before purchasing it.

    You dont know what the person getting foreclosed on will do with the property as you try to evict them if it goes that way.

    There are lots of people bidding up prices making most of these properties, not really good deals.

  • Real Estate Broker · Charleston, SC · Member since 2015 · 106 posts · 39 votes
    10y

    I'm interested in the SA auction as well. Anybody on BP familiar with it? I bought a house at an auction in Atlanta for $50k. The previous owners still live in it and have paid rent on time every month for a year. I got lucky I suppose. 

  • Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 102 posts · 45 votes
    10y

    I have a client who goes to each one and has told me that there are very few deals to be had.

    A good idea would be go down and observe and meet people.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 86 posts · 13 votes
    10y

    Thanks Mike. I understand you have to pay in full by Cashier's checks. It's also my understanding that you have two hours after the sale to get them the check. So what's the best way to handle this...do you bring a bunch of Cashier's Checks made out to different amounts or once your bid is accepted do you go to the nearest  bank for a check in the specific amount? I'm assuming there are some administrative charges added.

    I also understand that you have to do some preliminary title research yourself prior to the sale to ensure you're not bidding on a second mortgage or their are title issues.

    Is there an order the properties are auctioned off? What order do they go in and can I get a list of the order beforehand. I know I can get a list of the foreclosed homes being auctioned off beforehand.

    I've talked with some other folks who have done this and they advised me that out of 100 properties available, after applying review criteria they narrowed it down to three. 

    I've done quite a bit of flipping and holding purchased through other means but this is something I'd like to try.

    Thankis 

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    10y

    As for the checks, yes just bring various denominations, plus $1000 cash....for under 100k, 1 for 50k, 4 for 10k, 1 for 5k, 4 for 1k....you can tender any amount.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.