Questions To Ask a Seller Over The Phone

Questions To Ask a Seller Over The Phone

Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 173 posts · 85 votes

Hello BP,

I recently started sending out letters to owners asking them to contact me if interested in selling their home.  Yesterday I found an apartment for rent on Trulia and it happened to be one of the properties that I mailed a letter to a few weeks back.  I sent a text message to the contact name who happens to be the owner.  She let me know that they are open to offers and her and I are going to connect tonight to discuss more about her property.  

What questions should I be asking her during our conversation?  Below are the first questions that come to mind, what others am I missing?

# of units:
# of bedrooms:
Rents:
Current Mortgage:
Amount Owed:
How much they would sell for:
Can finance/carry back:
They may live in the property, what are their plans when it sells:

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

0Reply
10 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • full-time CPA & part-time RE Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2016 · 102 posts · 46 votes
    10y

    I would start by asking, "why are you possibly interested in selling your property?"  The answer to that question will tell you a lot about the seller's issues, wants, etc.  The answer will also tell you how to structure your offer, to help the seller reach their goals, while also allowing you to make an offer that makes your buy better.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.