Johannesburg, South Africa

Johannesburg, South Africa

Investor · Cape Town, Western Cape · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hi,

I'm a real estate investor based in Cape Town. I focus on rental properties and currently own a few apartments here. 

I'm looking to buy my first apartment in Johannesburg as yields seem to be much more attractive there. Does anyone have any tips for specific suburbs to look at that offer a good risk vs. reward mix? 

I've been looking at 2bedrooms in the R500k-R1.5m range, preferably close to Sandton.

Thanks!

0Reply
30 views

Most Popular Reply

Johannesburg, South Africa · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 7 votes
7y

Hi @Jessica Franco,

I am quickly approaching the purchase of my first rental apartment in Johannesburg - once I've signed the OTP, I will update you on my progress here and let you know what I've found and give you a brief deal breakdown that will hopefully assist you in one way or another :) 

If I get caught up in it all and forget, feel free to drop me a reminder or follow up in my inbox (or here).

Cheers!

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bulawayo, Zimbabwe · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 253 votes
    10y

    Hello @Tim A. Welcome to Biggerpockets

  • Johannesburg, South Africa · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    Hi @Tim A.,

    I came across your post - I know, it's been over 2 years since you've posted this. I was wondering if you ever ended up finding what you were looking for?

    I'm nearing the purchasing of my first apartment in Johannesburg (hopefully Lonehill, Sandton) and am quite curious to hear how things turned out for you.

    Any insight would be of great help!

  • Rental Property Investor · Charlotte · Member since 2019 · 70 posts · 34 votes
    7y

    Hi Guys, I'm just hoping on this thread as I'm curious to hear whether @Tim A. purchased an apartment in Johannesburg? I'm originally from South Africa currently living in the States and would like to look at investing in SA in the future. 

  • Johannesburg, South Africa · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    Hi @Jessica Franco,

    I am quickly approaching the purchase of my first rental apartment in Johannesburg - once I've signed the OTP, I will update you on my progress here and let you know what I've found and give you a brief deal breakdown that will hopefully assist you in one way or another :) 

    If I get caught up in it all and forget, feel free to drop me a reminder or follow up in my inbox (or here).

    Cheers!

  • Randburg, Gauteng · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    Hi @Jessica Franco

    Great to hear of your interest in property back home.

    From my experience (we own a company called KOURO here in South Africa) it really really depends on the strategy you hoping to focus on, the area, purchase price and what value you can add to that property - as discussed everywhere on BP

    We do flips, multi-lets and now recently starting Developments.

    Our returns are really good and we give great returns to our hard money lenders of between 15-20%.

    We are quite happy and believe that the property market here, if bought right, will last through any down times.

  • Randburg, Gauteng · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    Hi @Marno Fourie

    Did you manage to purchase the property you set out to??

    Great area choice.

    When you next up in Johannesburg, let’s set up a meeting and hear your story and see where we could possibly work with one another.

    We have acquired three multi-let/multi family homes in Northcliff, Blairgowrie and Kensington B and are targeting young professionals.

    We generally let out a 2Bedroom flatlet around R5.5-6.5k if that gives you any indication.

    All our Rentals are cashflow positive and refinance 85-100% of the money out

  • Rental Property Investor · Charlotte · Member since 2019 · 70 posts · 34 votes
    6y

    @Shane Rodger That's awesome, thanks for the info I'm just catching up on posts. @Marno Fourie any update on the purchase progress? 

  • Lethabong, Gauteng · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    Hi All, I am jumping on this thread as well because there isn't too much on this blog about investing in JHB. I have a 3 properties in JHB: one apartment, one multi family and one student accommodation. Does anyone know of any hard money investors? It seems like only banks are financing property investments

  • Kansas City · Member since 2019 · 162 posts · 54 votes
    6y

    @Shane Rodger I’d love to learn more about what y’all are investing in. I’ve spent a decent amount of time in SA and am actively evaluating real estate options. Feel free to DM me if interested in chatting.

  • Kansas City · Member since 2019 · 162 posts · 54 votes
    6y
    Not a problem, Shane! Will send you a DM.

    Originally posted by @Shane Rodger:

    @Benjamin A Ersing

    Hope you are well! Been 8months - apologies for that!!

    We business partner and I started at the end of 2018, began with Drive 4 Dollars looking for distressed properties with potential and we actually found an owner who was very interested in our first drive - that deal was our first ever and only ever started on October 2019...a lot of back and forth, a death and renegotiation took place over period. Finished renovations in the beginning of November 2019 and sold a day later.

    We felt like the kings of flipping...until we went into flip 2 & 3 where we learned hard lessons. Flip 2, didn't sell and our JV investor ended up taking it on as a multi-family so that we wouldn't sell at a loss. Flip 3, produced no profit for us and we quickly learnt where we went wrong on the flips.

    Since then,

    - we have completed 5 additional flips successfully and growing

    - we have completed 3 Multi-families where we are 50/50 partners with other investors. We are now completing two of our own and will own those 100% with a pipeline full for the balance of 2020

    - assisted in the purchase of a development for 25 Cluster homes and super excited to learn about the development space and start our own

    More about us can be found at www.kouro.co.za and you welcome to email me

    We always looking to empower people within property and actively seek investors to partner with!

    Have a splendid day @Benjamin A Ersing

  • Cape Town, South Africa · Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    3y

    Jumping on this thread, even though it's dated because we also want(ed) to invest in Johannesburg but finding it extremely challenging. Have engaged with two different agents on property24 on what could be very promising deals (according to the numbers) but the agents are just not as responsive. Getting hold of them and then retrieving information is like trying to get water out of a stone :-/

  • Roodepoort, Gauteng · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 0 votes
    2y

    Hi Quin,

    Just checking if you have managed to buy in Johannesburg. Let me know if you are still looking. I have moved out of the country and find it difficult to keep my units. 

    I'm thinking of selling.

  • Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Leandro Da Silva:

    Hi All, I am jumping on this thread as well because there isn't too much on this blog about investing in JHB. I have a 3 properties in JHB: one apartment, one multi family and one student accommodation. Does anyone know of any hard money investors? It seems like only banks are financing property investments


     Hi Leandro, did you ever manage to get a response regarding hard money lenders in South Africa? 

    I am currently looking for alternate funding to get an ADU up to start renting, and am finding it difficult to source investors within our borders. Let me know if you came right! Any information is helpful.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.