Votes
Shaun Hunt
  • Cedar City, UT
Votes |
$45,000 Fine

Shaun Hunt
  • Cedar City, UT
Posted Sep 27 2016, 22:24

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=41644556&nid=148&title=sal...

NALS Apartment Homes denied the family permission to keep the boy's assistance animal after his doctor refused to assume liability for any possible damage caused by the animal. In addition, the owners will pay $25,000 to set up a settlement fund to compensate anyone else who might have been harmed.

How can I avoid this? I have a no pet policy, however I have been approached by those with a signed paper from an online doctor that says someone in the household needs a comfort animal. The animal has had no formal training other than what the owner has provided.

I get that people love their pets.

I am sure this topic has come up many times on this forum. I will continue to dig and read more. I would appreciate direction to threads on this topic.

Not knowing the whole story and not trusting that these few paragraph are accurate, the article tends to make me feel for the tenant. The owner discriminated because it allowed other pets without an RX and didn't allow certain pets due to the fact that the dog didn't have an RX and the owner had special needs.

Does it depend on the state you live in whether it is legal, or not, to exclude a comfort animal and/or a trained service dog?

Loading replies...