Purchasing rental property greater built in 1800s?

Purchasing rental property greater built in 1800s?

Wallingford, CT · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 0 votes

Hi BiggerPockets Forum,

      I am looking at purchasing my first rental property. The home was built in 1800, but looks like there was massive renovation done and from the looks of it I couldn't even tell it was that old. Should I be weary of purchasing a home this old? I can never know for sure if the pipes or wiring was replaced (my biggest concern), I don't think an inspector can actually tell as well since you have to tear down the entire house. The other house I was looking at ended up being 100 years old. Should I immediately write-off houses that past the 100 year mark?

0Reply
21 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Warner Robins, GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 490 votes
    9y

    Go ahead and purchase it. As long as renovations were done, that's fine. I have an investment property built in 1885.

  • Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    2y

    Hello,

    I am looking into an investment property that was built around the same time? Since this question was posted 8 years ago, would you be kind to tell me how did it go? Were there any challenges or it was a good investment?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.