What Does Installed Mean

4 Replies

My contractor is now 5 months past the completion date called for in our agreement. He "dropped the ball" on getting the electric called in and now because of the storm it could be many more weeks before we get power to the house. He placed appliances in the house and says he wants to be paid. The contract calls for them to be installed. To me if I can't use them or test them they are not installed. Any thoughts ? 

Installed means installed.

Well that was helpful :) To me it means hooked up to power and working and would pass an inspection...

Installing appliances is a different issue than having electric to run them.....nice try.  But, why on earth have you had a property under rehab for over 5 months with no power?

When you rehab a house the first thing you should do is make sure the power is on as many a contractor will charge huge amounts of money to use their own generator for power or the fact they may need to rent one. usually passing cost plus 15% to your bill for it.  I too agree that installed has nothing to do with the power being on, unless it was stipulated as such in your contract!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here