Non-MLS deal, who pays broker commission?

Non-MLS deal, who pays broker commission?

Rental Property Investor · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2016 · 199 posts · 22 votes

So, I'm purchasing a property from another investor off market, and the agent is representing both sides of the deal. He had a seller who needed a buyer for his property and I came in as a buyer needing a property. Before we went under contract he sent me a Compensation Agreement to sign saying that I would pay commission on the transaction.

I'm a newbie, to be fair, but I've never heard of a seller paying commission and I've talked to an experienced Real Estate Agent who said in 10 years she's never had a buyer pay commission.

I don't want to offend my agent (who currently manages one of my rental properties), but I feel like this isn't standard. Should I walk away? Should I pay it to maintain the good working relationship? Am I getting the wool pulled over my eyes or just not understanding how the process works?

0Reply
72 views

Most Popular Reply

Dawn BrenengenBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y

In off market properties I brought my clients, my buyers have usually paid the commission. Since it's not listed in MLS, the seller has not offered any compensation to buyers' agents right off the bat. So, the buyer pays it as a closing cost or the sales price is increased to include it.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Belleville, NJ · Member since 2015 · 408 posts · 94 votes
    9y
    Seller usually pays commission. I've heard of buyer paying in certain cases but very rarely.
  • Investor · Princeton, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    This is more of psychology question than a financial one.  What difference does it make who pays the agent?  Just consider the bottom line.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    9y

    I've done it that way, doesn't matter who pays on a cash deal, just add it in as part of cost, figure the net the same way .  In a financed deal, the buyer usually doesn't want to spend the extra cash out of pocket.

  • Dawn BrenengenBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    In off market properties I brought my clients, my buyers have usually paid the commission. Since it's not listed in MLS, the seller has not offered any compensation to buyers' agents right off the bat. So, the buyer pays it as a closing cost or the sales price is increased to include it.

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2016 · 199 posts · 22 votes
    9y

    @Johnathan Boyle @Account Closed

    Thanks for the responses so far. Its good to know that there's a good reason I'm in between on this. I want to keep the relationship by making sure the agent gets paid, but not pay for something that the seller should be paying. But I don't know the rules or what is standard.

  • Member since 2022 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Dawn Brenengen:

    In off market properties I brought my clients, my buyers have usually paid the commission. Since it's not listed in MLS, the seller has not offered any compensation to buyers' agents right off the bat. So, the buyer pays it as a closing cost or the sales price is increased to include it.

     This is the right answer.  

  • Ben ScottPro Member
    Property Manager · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2019 · 577 posts · 351 votes
    3y

    I've had my buyers pay a commission when I've brought them a deal off-market. It almost functions like an assignment fee. I have the buyer sign a compensation agreement and that fee is part of their settlement statement.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Sellers always pay the commission. Shouldn't affect you. 

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    3y

    In my off market and commercial deals, my client, whoever they are, buyer or seller pay my commission.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.