Attempting to purchase "SUBJECT TO" existing mortgage

Attempting to purchase "SUBJECT TO" existing mortgage

Louisville, KY · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 75 votes

I 'd like to get some more experienced insight on trying to buy "Subject to"

The homeonwner is moving out of town by the end of the month and wants to get out of mortgage.

3br2bath w/basement

current mortgage payment is $650

$57k remains on mortgage.

My plan would be to get my name on the deed and then make her mortgage payment while seeking to refinance at what should be a lower rate/ payment.

This way I could avoid a down payment and so forth by refinancing.

ARV would be around $75-80k with minor improvements. The roof, water heater & furnace have all been replaced within the last 5 years.

I know I could rent for $850-900 easily. And its probably a "C" neighborhood.

I'd love to here some of you guys input or suggestions.

0Reply
26 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2016 · 59 posts · 33 votes
    9y

    To my knowledge, purchasing a home 'Subject to' does not allow for a refinance since the home is still owned and in the name of the current owner. You are merely purchasing the home, subject to the existing loan balance, plus any additional agreements made. This technique is primarily used for investors to control a property via contract, while not having to obtain a loan in their name. 

    To complete your purchase as you've described, it would make more sense in applying for a home loan in your name to obtain a lower monthly payment. If not, you'll be completing the 'subject to' agreement, and likely need to do a 'Lease option' for a potential buyer to rent the property until they can complete the home loan process to exercise a purchase agreement.

    Please note, I am not an attorney and this advice is the product of my Novice education of REI techniques, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 64 posts · 29 votes
    9y

    Sounds like a workable deal as you explained it.  I would not worry about refinancing it - just keep the cash rolling in and find another deal.  When you need cash then you can refi with cash out.  Best to season your ownership and make sure your tenant is stable before a refi.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.