Found a nice off market condo...how do I find the down payment!?

Found a nice off market condo...how do I find the down payment!?

North Liberty, IA · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 1 vote

3BD, 2.5BA 1368sqft. Asking $105,000. Renting for $1335/mo, $190/mo HOA

The seller has a nicer 12plex and is traveling abroad 30% of the year so he just doesn't have time to deal with this, AND another one in the same HOA will be sold off (to me!) in the near future, with the same Cap and CoC.

I'm looking for some creative ways to approach this, I have minimal ($5000) cash to put down at the moment.

NEW 3br have been recently built in this area and going for 1500-1700/mo, this is much older, but completely rehabbed. In my area (Iowa City/Coralville) I've been told above 8% is good. The CoC returns seems really good too.

1) Should I try and buy on contract?  What would that look like?  

2) I have some family who could potentially help with the down payment...what are some options for structuring such deal/approaching them?

The numbers:

Condo Association dues $190
Insurance $30
Maintenance $30
Property Taxes $127
Total Monthly Expenses $377
Total Annual Expenses $4,524
Net Monthly Income $953
Net Annual Income $11,436
Purchase Price $105,000
Downpayment $21,000
Borrow $84,000
Monthly Mortgage $554
Monthly Cash Flow $399
Annual Cash Flow $4,788
Cap Rate 10.89%
Cash on Cash Return 22.80%
0Reply
13 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Cedar Rapids, IA · Member since 2014 · 77 posts · 21 votes
    9y

    $30 a month for maintenance seems low.  A condo is going to be cheaper since you only have to maintain the inside, but say you have to paint 4 years from now. $1,500.  That's just over $30 a month between now and then right there.  Now factor in appliances, HVAC, flooring, faucets, fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, lock changes, vacancy, etc.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.