Harrisburg PA Property Numbers Too Good?

Harrisburg PA Property Numbers Too Good?

Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 4 votes

New to the whole process and I have been running numbers to try and get a feel for whether or not a deal is going to work out.  I recreated a spreadsheet to layout expenses and overall return and starting just plugging in numbers from Zillow on properties in the Harrisburg PA (front and second street) areas.  I assumed that I would find very few deals that would work out as everyone talks about how hard it is to find cash flow of +$200 per month for properties and most of their deals happen as a result of a special situation where they were able to pay like 1/2 the asking price.

However I am seeing like 5-6 properties in the 50k range that should rent for about $850 per month (again right off of Zillow). Some would likely need some refurb and I would avoid anything requiring over 10k in work, but even with this assumption I am still showing upwards of 15% COC for the first year alone and upwards of 25% if you include appreciation and any added value from improvements.

Am I missing something important like high vacancy rates or some other reason why I would not immediately want to move on these properties?  Is there a good online resource where I can verify rental rates and vacancy in the area?  I did a general Google search and did find some demographics sites that did confirm the Zillow numbers but not at the specific property/address level.

It just seems like I am totally missing something as it appears there are deals all over the place.

Here's a screen shot of my calcs.  Can anyone tell me if something appears amiss?  Are my expenses too low?  I swagged some of the percentages but overall tried to hit the 50% rule.

1Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 189 posts · 84 votes
9y
Property taxes are usually higher than you accounted for in Harrisburg. Just google dauphin county millage rates and get the assessed value from daulphinpropertyinfo and do your own calculations. There is also the required business and rental permit licenses required for Harrisburg city which isn't much ~$75. Also property management will be considerably higher. It will be 8% plus one months rent to fill a vacancy and you will have plenty of vacancies to pay for. You will also have flood insurance in SOME areas you mentioned. I also think your financing terms are optimistic but I haven't shopped that type of loan in awhile. There is money to be made in Harrisburg city but from my personal experience, owning 4 houses for 3 years, I would recommend it for a landlord who wants to be heavily involved and do your own maintenance and management. "Passive" income is tough in Harrisburg city... again this is my person experience and my property was not in the nicer area of second and front street.
See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 293 posts · 175 votes
    9y

    I got almost the same number using the BP calculator too. The only thing I didn't see on your sheet was savings for capex. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 189 posts · 84 votes
    9y
    Property taxes are usually higher than you accounted for in Harrisburg. Just google dauphin county millage rates and get the assessed value from daulphinpropertyinfo and do your own calculations. There is also the required business and rental permit licenses required for Harrisburg city which isn't much ~$75. Also property management will be considerably higher. It will be 8% plus one months rent to fill a vacancy and you will have plenty of vacancies to pay for. You will also have flood insurance in SOME areas you mentioned. I also think your financing terms are optimistic but I haven't shopped that type of loan in awhile. There is money to be made in Harrisburg city but from my personal experience, owning 4 houses for 3 years, I would recommend it for a landlord who wants to be heavily involved and do your own maintenance and management. "Passive" income is tough in Harrisburg city... again this is my person experience and my property was not in the nicer area of second and front street.
  • Property Manager · Lancaster, PA · Member since 2016 · 77 posts · 30 votes
    9y

    Trey,

    I wish more investors would spend time questioning the numbers like you are.  So, that alone is a good start!

    Just a few things to chime in on....

    • Closing costs -- I think this was said by Tyler as well, but I'd expect higher closing costs than that.  It'll be tough to get it under $3K, in our experience at least.  
    • Insurance -- I'd at least double that amount you have in the sheet, at least in our experience.  But if you can find cheaper -- go for it!  
    • Can't speak to everyone's pricing on property management, but we charge 6% a month of collected rent and half a months rent to find a tenant.  
    • Rent estimate -- this is a topic we have spent a lot of time on, as it's ever changing and there's so many variables.  We built this free tool for Central PA investors.  Unfort it's only for Central PA, but we looked at all our data on rentals and created an algorithm for figuring out the rent.  Also works on multi-units b/c you can put each unit in separately.  If you give it a shot, let me know what you think or if you want to chat in real time about rental rates.

    Anyway..... hope this helps.  Shoot me a direct note if you want to chat more about this or anything else.   Good luck!

    - Nate

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.