Investor · MO · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 4 votes
My husband is a contractor where we live here in Missouri. We can work on our investments without many restrictions. We are planning a move and have Pensacola FL first on our list, but the restrictions there make it impossible for my husband to pull his own permits for any homes we flip unless we live there at least 12 months.
What about Raleigh NC or Greenville SC? Can a homeowner pull permits with no restrictions on selling, etc?
Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
9y
Regarding NC contractors, see also the pertaining to general contracting. The 'owned by that person' exemption is in 87-1(b)(2) and the $30,000 limit is in 87-1. The NC chapter pertaining to contracting is , and it covers HVAC & plumbing (Article 2), electrical (Article 4), etc. NCGS 87-43.1. Exceptions (5a) allows for people working on electrical for their own house they live in. covers permits. I have 'pulled' permits (always under $30,000 and for existing buildings (all Level 2 Alterations)) and you'll need to meet 87-14(1), specifically, if you are not licensed in the state. This is a nice or just Repair. I agree with @Account Closed , that in the Raleigh area flippers are generally not pulling permits when they should be. I am not a flipper, but I have filed for permits in Garner, Fuquay, and Holly Springs... but not Raleigh proper.
Investor / Wholesaler · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 667 votes
9y
@Jennifer Ross, it sounds like you looked into the owner details for projects where you can pull your own permits on a house you are going to live in. Hence the 12 month rule here. You can have someone pull the permits for you on the flips, the expense isn't much. I don't know how many you guys will be doing at a time but if your husband is doing the contracting work and pulling permits I would suspect it is one or two at once max. I could be mistaken though and please correct me if so. I would be happy to put you and your husband in contact with my GC to discuss what he can and can't do here in the area.
Investor · MO · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 4 votes
9y
Hey @William Allen (just finished writing back to you on FB ...lol)
So, yes, owner permits. It's a toss up. We will be working with our son-in-law as well and he really wants to do the work himself on the flips. Jason and I thought we would start out that way but moving up to hiring out the work is definitely attractive. But is it as cost effective? I know we can do more that way though, leveraging time and such. We were thinking about 6 per year with us doing our own work.
We're happy to talk to your GC though, to give us some ideas about how to proceed.
Thanks @Jeff B. I may need to google some phone numbers and make some calls on Monday about those NC and SC counties
Contractor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 651 posts · 510 votes
9y
@Jennifer Ross In North Carolina, a homeowner may not pull permits for work over $30K on a home he owns unless he intends to occupy the home for at least 12 months upon completion of the work. Even so, plumbing, electrical and HVAC work must be performed by licensed tradesmen.
It is also illegal in NC for a licensed GC to pull permits for you, as someone suggested, unless they are actively involved in and legally responsible for the project. Any project manager is also required to hold a GC license to oversee work on a non-owner occupied house.
I think these laws are a good thing for the buyer's protection. Too many houses are being renovated and 'flipped' by unqualified people and then purchased by unsuspecting buyers. I've seen many instances of shoddy work being performed on flipped houses, either deliberately or out of ignorance and the buyers are left holding the bag. It's a big problem.
Why would your husband not simply become licensed in the state you move to?
Investor · MO · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 4 votes
9y
@Account Closed Thank you. So, plumbing, electrical, etc permits are not available to home owners. Similar to FL in that way.
I would imagine it being illegal nationwide to have licensed GCs pulling permits for home owners and being hands off for the project.
I agree. You can't imagine the work my husband has had to do when going in behind others. More cost to the home owner and more time for those qualified and skilled since they are backtracking, undoing and redoing work that wasn't done correctly to begin with. (Can't say we don't enjoy our many freedoms here in MO though!)
Why not become licensed? We are actually looking into it and considering it.
@Account Closed Thank you. So, plumbing, electrical, etc permits are not available to home owners. Similar to FL in that way.
I would imagine it being illegal nationwide to have licensed GCs pulling permits for home owners and being hands off for the project.
I agree. You can't imagine the work my husband has had to do when going in behind others. More cost to the home owner and more time for those qualified and skilled since they are backtracking, undoing and redoing work that wasn't done correctly to begin with. (Can't say we don't enjoy our many freedoms here in MO though!)
Why not become licensed? We are actually looking into it and considering it.
You can do plumbing & electrical on your own personal residence but not on your 'non-owner occupied' [flipped] house. I would encourage him to get his license; it will prove very useful if you continue in this business. Good luck!
Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
9y
Regarding NC contractors, see also the pertaining to general contracting. The 'owned by that person' exemption is in 87-1(b)(2) and the $30,000 limit is in 87-1. The NC chapter pertaining to contracting is , and it covers HVAC & plumbing (Article 2), electrical (Article 4), etc. NCGS 87-43.1. Exceptions (5a) allows for people working on electrical for their own house they live in. covers permits. I have 'pulled' permits (always under $30,000 and for existing buildings (all Level 2 Alterations)) and you'll need to meet 87-14(1), specifically, if you are not licensed in the state. This is a nice or just Repair. I agree with @Account Closed , that in the Raleigh area flippers are generally not pulling permits when they should be. I am not a flipper, but I have filed for permits in Garner, Fuquay, and Holly Springs... but not Raleigh proper.
Rental Property Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2012 · 161 posts · 75 votes
9y
In Greenville County owner can pull permit but a waiver must be signed saying the property will not be rented or sold within a certain number of years...Obviously, this doesn't work. If you are licensed you can pull permits on your properties without issue.
Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 27 votes
9y
I was able to pull my own permits in Durham, NC without much difficulty. It was just a form stating I was acting as general contractor on the job. I also pulled permits for electrical and plumbing. In order to do my own electrical and plumbing work I had to take a test for each one. The tests were not hard but you have to know all the terminology. This was for a large 3 car garage with an apartment above.
I do have to say they probably gave me a much harder time on the inspections than regular GC's would have had. They failed me on some bizarre things for sure. Some of the subs were annoyed by having to come back and do things they had never had to do before. I must have gone through 30 cans of fireblock foam before the insulation inspector left me alone.
Residential Real Estate Broker · Knightdale, NC · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 0 votes
8y
So in the Case of North Carolina, Does any one know what the penalty and who has been punished for pulling permit as owner and after which sell the property?
So in the Case of North Carolina, Does any one know what the penalty and who has been punished for pulling permit as owner and after which sell the property?
If I understand your question correctly, my answer is 'yes' to the first part and 'no' to the second. This section of NC statutes, , specifies violators of The Contractors law "shall be deemed guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor." explicitly states the 12 month exemption for owner-occupied property. Specifically:
"If the building is not occupied solely by the person and his family, firm, or corporation for at least 12 months following completion, it shall be presumed that the person, firm, or corporation did not intend the building solely for occupancy by that person and his family, firm, or corporation."
There may be a way to determine who has been determined to operate as a contractor without a license in the scenario you present (as owner-occupied, but owning less than 12 months), but I don't know how to do it.
An FYI, Wake county permit filings are here: City of Raleigh permit filings are here: Over the years I have seen flippers sell property where permits weren't pulled as posted earlier. Easy to look up if you suspect that is happening with the prior two links.