Review/Critique multiple property purchase - Greenville, SC

Review/Critique multiple property purchase - Greenville, SC

Investor · Simpsonville, SC · Member since 2016 · 135 posts · 73 votes

Thank you in advance for comments and advice. Sorry for the long post but wanted to make sure I had all the information in there for review - Thanks!

Package Purchase Price - $385k

SFR Brick Ranch @ 40k

Duplexes 3 (6 units) @ 345k

Will be using funds from refinancing other properties at 4.15% to provide 240k at closing, owner is financing the rest at 4.15% for 14 months so that we can refinance these at a year. No penalty for early payoff.

Basically, to get the duplexes that are in really good shape, the SFR in rougher shape is part of the package. My thought is to proceed with the duplexes for a long term play. We are undecided on what to do with the SFR this spring. Opinions and questions welcome!

Properties:

A) Brick SFR - 3/1 - 1100 sq ft -  Price 40k, needs 25-35k of work, market value is about 70k fixed up , would rent for $750 - $795. 

Options: 

1) Resell the SFR as is - maybe make a few thousand, break even, or lose a little

2) Fix the subfloor and prep the bathroom and kitchen to be finished for about 2500 and sell it to someone else to finish the kitchen and bathroom to their specs. Should be able to make a few thousand more

3) Rehab it, rent it, keep it till I can refinance it to get most of our money out of it. It would be worth what we have in it.  Could be worse but this is not ideal.

*********************************************

B) 3 Duplexes - two story, 1990's construction with roofs less than 2 years old, HVACs less than 5 years old,, each side is a 1000 square feet 2 bedroom, 1.5 bath unit - $345,000 (or $115,000 each).  Comps are hard to come by - there is a sale for 60k, & another for 90k in 2014 for identical units on the same street, and a 2016 sale for same type of duplex at 130k on the same street so the price is reasonable especially for the market in 2017 for the area. 

Each duplex has one side rented at an average of $630 and one side is vacant as the current owner was rehabbing these to raise the rent. These units need some paint, some carpet cleaning, and the top boards of their decks replaced.  Each unit will take less than a $1000 to have rent ready.  

Market rents would be between $725 and $795 per my property manager (has another duplex in the same neighborhood that he manages).  The below market rental units would be raised gradually to market or raised when the units turned.

Duplex Numbers (All three together)

All Monthly Payments: $1600 (Repairs for empty units will be on an LOC and payment on that is included here)

Taxes: $500 per month ($6000 per year) - I think I can get these lowered

Insurance: $1200 per year

Monthly Income (($630 + 725) * 3) = $4065 when fully rented - Should be feasible by April 1

$4065 -1600(pmts)-500(tax set aside)-100(ins set aside) = 1865 remaining

$1865 - 325.20 (PM) - 600 (reserves) = $940 remaining

Thanks for reading this far!

Amy

0Reply
12 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jason BurrPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2012 · 161 posts · 75 votes
    9y

    @Amy Webber Let me know if you decide to back out of the deal.  I will give you $1000 if you decide to pass and I end up purchasing the deal.  Good luck to you.

  • Investor · Simpsonville, SC · Member since 2016 · 135 posts · 73 votes
    9y

    I've got them all under contract but will let you know if we decide to sell the SFR. We are planning keeping the duplexes though. Thanks!

  • Rental Property Investor · Niceville, FL · Member since 2017 · 88 posts · 136 votes
    9y
    Good for you Amy! Here's a few of my initial thoughts for what it's worth. 1. I'd sell the SFR right away and get what you can. If possible. 2. When calculating deals I try to shoot low for rents and work in a moderate vacancy factor so I can hopefully be pleasantly surprised. Like maybe ($630 + $675-700) with a 10% vacancy factor along with no pays an eviction here & there. I also add on some exterior or landscape maint, and some misc expenses that always seem to show up, like needing a new stove, fridge, HVAC repair, etc. etc. etc.... Maybe you've calculate for these with your "reserves" moneys? I've never had much luck with duplex tenants taking care of the yards either. Even if its in the contract for them to do it. Especially at the $700/month rental market. 3. Good idea to try and lower taxes. We have done this numerous times on our properties. A little time and effort can reap hundreds or even a few thousand in lowered expenses. 4. $1,200 for insurance on 3 triplexes seems a little low to me. But you probably have quotes or previous owners insurance in place. 5. Purchasing, doing light rehab, advertising and getting three new tenants at 15-20% higher rents in just a few short weeks seems super aggressive. I would think that may take at least a couple months to do. But maybe you already have contractors and possibly tenants lined up? Again, is calculate worst case going in and be pleasantly surprised. :-) 6. I don't see where your paying back the 145K that is seller financed....$385 - $240 = $145K seller financing @ 4.15%. That's about $10K + per month for a 14 month payback! Or if they are low interest only payments or something else, the. That's a big chunk of change to come up with in a short period of time. Maybe your plan is to refinance all of them and get the money, which is more expense. 7. Not trying to rain on your parade, there are probably things I'm missing. that is great that your moving forward and making things happen. Congrats and good luck. Sounds like your doing well! These are just one humble mans opinions.
  • Investor · Simpsonville, SC · Member since 2016 · 135 posts · 73 votes
    9y

    @Charlie Price

    Thank you for the detailed response!  

    1) I'm leaning that way too but we are going to do a more detailed estimate on the rehab before we make our final decision.  Our property manager is going to take a look as well to make his recommendation on rent.

    2) I agree - there are several duplexes on the street that are renting for $795 but I do not want to count on getting that level of rent so I ran the numbers lower.  All of the units under 700 are under market rent.

    3) Wish me luck - I've been able to get the taxes on some properties lowered but not all that I have attempted.

    4) I would have thought closer to 1500 but I'm using the current owners insurance rate for the duplexes.  I'll post the actual numbers after I get the insurance set up for the closing date.

    5) It is aggressive but we should be able to start work on them right after we close so that is lined up.  I think we will have them ready within two weeks of closing and we will start advertising as soon as we have one ready to show.  We will aim for 4/1 but if it takes a bit longer to get a good tenant, that is fine too.

    The rental market is tight on anything under $1000.  However, if we don't have a suitable tenant, we wait until we do.  I am not a fan of the  "get someone in there" method.

    6) The payments on the owner financed 145k are interest only payments of just over $400 per month and are included in the "All Monthly Payments" number as well as the payment on the refinanced lump sum.

    We are planing on paying off the owner financed balloon at the end of the 14 months by refinancing one or two of the duplexes.   We have already talked with our banker on this and plan to start the process at month 11 so that we can make sure we are done before the 14 months.  It is an additional expense though as you stated.

    7) I appreciate the comments and additional information to think about.  It is always good to get additional insights and opinions (sunny and rainy!).  Thank you for the time you spent on your post. 

    On my "day" job, I have a client down in Niceville, Florida.  I do enjoy the Apalachicola oysters when I am down that way!

    Best of luck in your real estate adventures!

    Thanks,

    Amy

  • Investor · Simpsonville, SC · Member since 2016 · 135 posts · 73 votes
    9y

    Status Update - Overall going well though not as fast as planned of course ! We had a closing delay when the seller came down with the flu and it cascaded a bit from there.  They recovered and then we proceeded as planned just a couple of weeks later :)

    Duplex #1 - Rehab complete, approved resident moving into unit in early June, rent at $750 (There are 2 other units listed at $795 and $775 that are still sitting from what I can tell)

    Duplex #2 - Rehab complete, our PM has received and is reviewing multiple applications, expected move in date in mid-June or so. Rent will also be $750

    Duplex #3 - Rehab underway - this one needs more work and so is expected to take until mid to late June. Our PM is showing the other units and letting potential applicants know that this unit will be ready for July.  They have told us the faster we can get it ready the better as the interest is strong.

    SFR Project #4 - Rehab underway - We have decided to keep this SFR per the advice from our property manager due to the location. This one really needs a LOT of work so we are hoping to have it finished in June but I will honestly be thrilled if we can get it finished by the end of July. One step at a time!

    Also once we started working on the duplexes - we introduced ourselves to the current tenants in the other half of each duplex, and asked if there were any pending maintenance items. No surprise - There were quite a few items that needed to be repaired but were not big expenses. We fixed those first and the tenants were thrilled. All three of the inherited tenants paid their May rent on time and we have other tenants on the street asking if we will buy their building so we can fix stuff there too.  So we are quite happy about that.  Future leads!!!

    I will never understand why a landlord decides that its too expensive to replace a toilet ... I think having to replacing the subfloor is much worse ...but that is a whole different thread indeed .....

    Have a great Memorial Day Weekend! 

    Amy

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.