Putting Property in LLC Raise Property Taxes?

Putting Property in LLC Raise Property Taxes?

Melrose Park, IL · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hello, I am considering taking properties out of my name and having an attorney transfer them into an LLC. However, I remember reading something that when you transfer into an LLC, you risk the property taxes rising due to the property being owned by a business.

I also heard about re-assessment triggering when transferring properties.

Also if the above is true, has anyone experienced the issue and what was the percentage of the property tax increase?

Properties are in Cook County IL.

Trying to get further insight on this issue before I make a decision and outweigh the potential cost basis, whether it would be worth it.

0Reply
18 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Sauk Village, IL · Member since 2015 · 78 posts · 30 votes
    9y

    Interesting topic... I'm almost positive that it wouldn't increase due to an LLC owning the house but it probably will trigger the re-assessment when changing titles. If you're doing this to try and hide what you own, once its in your name it can always be tracked back to you...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.