Investor · Arvada, CO · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 4 votes
Hello, I'm new to BP. I have a cabin that I am currently renting out as a vacation rental. There is a old vacant cabin next to mine with no physical address. I'm sure it can be found by lot # but I don't know where to begin to find that info. We have owned our cabin since August and we have seen nobody at that property. In fact a tree has fallen partially blocking the entrance so I'd gather it's been vacant a long time. How do I find out who the owner is and move towards attempting to purchase it? Is this something where a tax lien could be done if they owe?
Investor · Jasper GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y
I would just introduce myself and get to know them and see what their situation is.
I wouldn't throw out a price. They might think the property isn't worth much and might be worth less than what you are willing to pay. Plant a seed.
Tell them that you have noticed that there's a tree in the road and you would be glad to remove it for them in case they want to visit the cabin. Tell them you just bought your place and if there is anything they can tell you interesting about the area.
I assume the taxes are paid. I always try to find out what their home is like to see what I'm dealing with. Google their name. It's not fun to find out when making a phone call that the person you are calling is deceased. Do your homework. Know your seller/neighbor.
Apple Valley, MN · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 1 vote
9y
Hi Damon, I would search for some sort of state government/county website that provides this information. It is public domain knowledge. If there isn't anything like this, I would go to the local county seat and speak with someone involved with taxes or zoning. I I'm not sure which post would have the information you need. I did this, but our county is so small the same guy had three jobs.
Real Estate Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 143 posts · 167 votes
9y
Damian Solorzano if the property in question is located in Jefferson County, you should be able to find the information you need here: http://jeffco.us/assessor/online-services/property-records-search/ . Otherwise, just do a Google search for the tax assessor's website for the county where the property is located.
Best of luck
Investor · Arvada, CO · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 4 votes
9y
Thanks for the replies. I have been searching and was able to find the parcel number and owner name via the Custer county parcel map on their website. A white pages search revealed a phone number. Now to contact the owner and hope she's willing to sell. It's just a small parcel with a 800 sq ft log cabin built in the 1940s. It assesses for $16,508. What would be a reasonable starting offer?
Investor · Jasper GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y
I would just introduce myself and get to know them and see what their situation is.
I wouldn't throw out a price. They might think the property isn't worth much and might be worth less than what you are willing to pay. Plant a seed.
Tell them that you have noticed that there's a tree in the road and you would be glad to remove it for them in case they want to visit the cabin. Tell them you just bought your place and if there is anything they can tell you interesting about the area.
I assume the taxes are paid. I always try to find out what their home is like to see what I'm dealing with. Google their name. It's not fun to find out when making a phone call that the person you are calling is deceased. Do your homework. Know your seller/neighbor.