What is included in a sale in cali?

What is included in a sale in cali?

NYC, NY · Member since 2013 · 50 posts · 22 votes
Trying to help a buddy out. He's buying a place and the sellers are asking to hold on to the drapes which are hanging from a curtain rod. Additionally, they have offered selling him the Murphy bed which is bolted into the wall- I was under the impression that anything affixed to the wall would be included in the sale. But, I'm not a realtor in cali (or anywhere) and therefore have no idea! I guess someone could argue that a claw foot tub isn't technically bolted into anything and could be missing if those were the guidelines for what gets included in the sale of a home... anyone have any input? Happy Saturday all.
0Reply
14 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Davis, CA · Member since 2016 · 595 posts · 344 votes
    9y

    I would never assume any decorator type stuff was included... Murphy bed... thats tough.  I would assume it would come, as it is more cabinetry/built in than furniture.  I would tell him to just say no thanks.... I could take it or leave it... I bet they just leave it.

  • Property Manager · San Bernardino, CA · Member since 2014 · 473 posts · 238 votes
    9y

    They could most likely take the drapes with them. It would be in bad taste to do so, but they can do it. They wouldn't be able to take the rod holding them up though without replacing them with a rod satisfactory to your friend buying the house. If the Murphy bed is removed, the wall would need to be left in good condition (Holes patched and painted) If the sellers can't do that, then they have no business removing it. Usually these items are negotiated in the purchase agreement, but the Murphy bed situation isn't so cut and dry.

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 120 posts · 36 votes
    9y
    Hi Peter I'm a Realtor in Los Angeles. I would suggest your buddy negotiate that, but is he willing to lose the house over the drapes?? Maybe ask for a credit/cash at closing to get new ones. The drapes aren't technically affixed to the wall so could be a gray area. I know when I bought my house, half of them had gone missing, but I replaced them with better ones anyway. If he wants to contact me directly, he is more than welcome. Hope this helps!
  • Real Estate Agent · Redlands, CA · Member since 2016 · 253 posts · 115 votes
    9y

    Hello @Peter Assaad

    I would agree with the above posters. The drapes aren't bolted to the wall so they belong to the seller. The rods would stay. The murphy bed however is another story. Tell him to negotiate with the sellers to leave it. Those are expensive so I am sure he doesn't want to replace it if he can get the sellers to leave it. If they do take it and don't patch the holes, then he has a valid complaint. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.