Bought my home and the ending was a nightmare

Bought my home and the ending was a nightmare

Springfield, IL · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 1 vote
I recently purchased my first home this past Thursday. Leading up to it felt like a dream come true, I found the perfect home. I could not wait to finally settle and move in. Settlement day came and it was a nightmare to say the least. First let me say the contract clearly stated settlement would take place on the 29th no later than 4pm. I get a call two days before from the realtor saying it was pushed back to the 30th and there was nothing he could do about it. So the seller had an extra day to clean up and get things packed I suppose. Settlement was rescheduled for the following day at 10, walk through at 9. I get to the house for the walk through and they are still packing. I go into the house and I kid you not, its completely trashed and looked like a foreclosed home, holes in the walls, carpets stained all over, dog waste on the carpets, blotches of paint on the walls, missing shelves from the walls, missing nest ac unit that was supposed to come with the house, dog waste all over the backyard, refrigerator filthy, unswepped floor, mold on the washer. None of this was there when we did our original viewing of the home, as well as the inspection. The home appeared in fantastic condition and well taken care of, it was like a completely different house on settlement. Note this was NOT sold as, in fact it was listed as move in ready and taken very good care of. States in the contract it needs to be in the same condition as the original viewing. Im there at the walk through, clearly shocked, telling my real estate agent the house looks destroyed this isnt right, they need to fix this. He tells me he will take care of it. Before signing the papers he assured everything was taken care of. I go back to the house and sure enough it is in the same exact condition. My realtor basically told me its the sellers agents fault and theres nothing we can do. I know a lot of people are very experienced in real estate on this forum and I would love to get your opinions on this situation and what you would do from here. I feel like my agent put no effort in supporting me and it is really disappointing to know that. Im also livid to say the least that we gave the seller a whole extra day which was not ever agreed to on the contract and the house was left like this. Opinions please!
0Reply
144 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Gainesville, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 432 votes
9y

I would not have closed until the conditions were met. Your agent is blaming the other agent and your agent seems to have said what was needed to get it closed. You have already closed so now it's your to clean up. That's unfortunate.

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Crown Point, IN · Member since 2009 · 482 posts · 216 votes
    9y

    Alex,

    It's too bad this happened but I don't understand why you went through with the close. The first thing I'd do, is call the realtor and have a few choice words with him. But Jay is correct. Everyone's talking about litigation. Seriously? Ask those people if they're willing to give you the money to be represented by an attorney!

    I'm sorry to have to say this, but you made the huge mistake  of closing, knowing full well the house was in shambles. I'm sure you wanted to get this over with, but you should have stopped the closing immediately. The buyer is in the drivers seat in a case like this. It might have taken a while to get these problems corrected, but you could have also lowered the purchase price at the close enough to cover the damages. The positive in all of this, is I'm sure you learned from your mistake and I would bet that this will never happen to you again. Best of luck to you. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.