First-time Chicago multifamily in contract - Close or Pass?

First-time Chicago multifamily in contract - Close or Pass?

Rolling Meadows, IL · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 3 votes

Hello BiggerPockets,

After about half a year of learning and searching for my first investment property, I've finally found a property which I plan to “house-hack”. We are in contract now and the inspection period ends next week.

Here are the details:

Location: City of Chicago, Neighborhood of Avondale/Logan Square; 3 minute walk to a blue line subway station (26 minute door to door commute to the loop).

Market: The area has seen growth in both property value and development. If the historic pattern of real estate development follows its neighboring markets along the subway line (such as Wicker Park), this area will gentrify rapidly and see significant appreciation.

Property: Legal 2 units with finished basement and finished attic. In total, three rentable units: 1) Basement 2bed1bath, 2) Floor 1 2bed1bath 3) Floor 2 duplexed-up to attic 3bed2bath.

Numbers:

Purchase price = $460k,

Monthly Income: Basement = Occupy, Unit 2 = 1400, Unit 3 =1900, Parking = 100; Total Monthly Income = 3400

Monthly Expenses: PITI = (2800), Others (vacancy, repairs, utilities) = (530); Total Monthly Expenses =

(3330)

Monthly Net Cash Flow = 74 (essentially break-even)

Property Details & Issues:

HVAC = None. The house has one shared gas bill with a steam-powered boiler providing heat through radiators in only floors 1 and 2, leaving the basement and attic floors with no heat. For electric, the house has two electrical meters (one for floor 1 + basement, one for floor 2 + attic). Currently the owners use space heaters for the attic and claim minimal space heaters are needed for the basement because the boiler located there provides enough heat from itself. During warm seasons, AC window units are used for all units.

Water Plumbing = There seems to be weak water pressure particularly in the attic floor when multiple drivers (toilet, shower, sink) are used at once. Pipes are generally galvanized in material.

Water Heater = There is only one 40 gallon tank in basement for the whole house.

Questions: I don't have money for too large of a rehab project. Therefore, I'm planning to minimize rehab costs and bring the property to rent as quickly as possible.

  • 1) Since it’s impossible to separately meter radiators, and too costly to convert to forced air, I’m thinking of footing the gas bill and covering the cost through an upcharge of rent (these values are reflected in “numbers” portion above). Would tenants find this attractive? To counter the risk of tenants running the bill over my estimated average, is there a way to implement a sort of pay-for-extra comfort bill?
  • 2) Currently there is one master thermostat for the radiators in the 2nd floor – is it an easy/cheap process to change that master to the basement where we will live? How would I manage controlling heat once I move out?
  • 3) For electricity, I’d just have to split the meters between floor 1 and the basement. Is this easy to do?
  • 4) For the water, I’ve been suggested by a plumber to install a booster pump to fix the pressure issue. Can anyone attest to the effectiveness of this addition? Also, would it be advisable to install a 2nd water heater or can I replace the 40 gallon with a 75 gallon?
  • 5) Finally, this question isn’t related to the property, but the scalability of my future real estate portfolio. My partner and I currently have contracted to finance this property through a 5% down owner-occupy conventional loan. The restriction of concern is that you can't use this loan if you have any other properties under your name. With this property’s current numbers, my partner and I would BOTH have to put our names on the mortgage in order to qualify the debt-to-income ratio. Would it be advisable to skip this property to look for another one where only one of us would title the loan? This way, the other partner can leverage the same low money down program for a 2nd property relatively quickly thereafter? Multi-family properties are expensive in Chicago so future purchases through standard 20% down conventional loans would take me years of savings.

If you took the time to read through my wall of text, I want to thank you for your time and consideration! Any bit of advice/information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Elliott

0Reply
137 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 870 posts · 345 votes
9y

@Elliott Kim, I have seen the area change. I placed some bids in the Albany Park and gave up. There is too much competition. Also, if you love the area and want to stay there, go for it, but this is not an "investment only" property. 

+1 to @Dorothy Wulf - It looks high. 

Double and triple check your rent numbers.  I have seen 2/1 @ $,1200.  Are you sure you can get $1,900 there?  It seems very high. 

Run the entire calculation including all expenses and possible CAPEX. How is the $5,000 roof, or the $300/each windows? Hey, how old is the $1,200 water heater? What about taxes? Was this owned by an old lady and your taxes will double? Check, triple check, and get peer review.

Electric sub-meter is possible.  All you gotta do is pick up the circuits before they reach the panel. Then, request a meter.  Will you have to upgrade your service?  However, if you are upfeeding or downfeeding, you will need to rewire.  Get an electrician to price it.  It may be as low as $1,500 or $5,000.

HVAC should run about $3,000 plus $2,000 in soffits.   Will this work for any of your units?

A place at $460K should be in pretty good condition for that area ( Pulaski and Addison)

Good luck, 

Frank

See this reply in the discussion

34 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 515 posts · 247 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @John Nachtigall:

    Why is everyone glossing over the most important thing...it is not legal

    It is legal for 2 rooms not 3.   Seems like if your business plan relies on chronically breaking the law you have issues.

     "Non-compliant" garden units are incredibly common in Chicago.  

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 54 posts · 30 votes
    9y

    This deal leaves very little room for error. You mentioned that your money reserves aren't exceptionally large so that adds to the risk as well. Do you have a contingency plan should one of the units go vacant for one or more months? 

    Also I've found that upcharging tenants for utilities works well in theory but many tenants don't like it. I think it's psychological. 

  • Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2017 · 325 posts · 701 votes
    9y

    @Jeff Burdick

    Can you enforce eviction and lease terms if you knowingly rent a unit that is non-complaint?   I am no lawyer so I honestly have no idea.   But I do know that contracts entered into with fraud are non-enforceable.   If the tenet refuses to pay the lease on a non-compliance unit what makes them?   Basically you like (and want to enforce) contract law, but not occupancy law.  That is the practical issue.

    On the theoretical side, occupancy limits and zoning exists for a reason.   They are invariably created as a result of some tragedy, usually a fire, that results in loss of life.   Should anyone really not follow them?

    I am not the experienced investor here, but if you are pouring a significant (possibly) all of your net worth into an asset, and the profitability of that asset is dependent on non-enforcement of established laws....that seems like an issue.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 515 posts · 247 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @John Nachtigall:

    @Jeff Burdick

    Can you enforce eviction and lease terms if you knowingly rent a unit that is non-complaint?   I am no lawyer so I honestly have no idea.   But I do know that contracts entered into with fraud are non-enforceable.   If the tenet refuses to pay the lease on a non-compliance unit what makes them?   Basically you like (and want to enforce) contract law, but not occupancy law.  That is the practical issue.

    On the theoretical side, occupancy limits and zoning exists for a reason.   They are invariably created as a result of some tragedy, usually a fire, that results in loss of life.   Should anyone really not follow them?

    I am not the experienced investor here, but if you are pouring a significant (possibly) all of your net worth into an asset, and the profitability of that asset is dependent on non-enforcement of established laws....that seems like an issue.

     That is a very good question.  I really don't know, but I assume you can...otherwise tenants would quickly figure that out and simply be squatting on non-compliant units all over the city.  

    There is a lot of gray area with these things in Chicago because most of the houses are 100+ years old.  Some things that are non-compliant today were perfectly fine when they were built and things get grandfathered in.  

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 166 posts · 67 votes
    9y

    @Elliott Kim - Is this property a legal 2 unit? Have you seen the certificate of zoning compliance yet? Which unit(s) is/are non-conforming? What are their ceiling heights and are there 2 forms of egress? Lastly, how many parking spaces do you have?

  • Investor · Downers Grove, IL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 955 votes
    9y

    @Elliott Kim

    I agree with the others that it's a bad idea to include utilities for your tenants (unless you've absolutely no choice). I have a 2 flat - that I didn't split, and I get outrageous gas bills every winter. But it's offset a little by low bills in the summer. Tenants will NOT conserve if they're not paying. 

    @Michael Facchini @Jake Clampitt

    Since both of you are familiar with Avondale/Logan square, are you familiar with the shoemaker loft at pulaski/belmont ? Do you see that area developing more since logan square is booming?  

  • Lender · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 438 posts · 193 votes
    9y

    I know of the building, but not too much about it specifically.  But I do see that area continuing to be developed.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    @Chris T.

    I am familiar with those lofts, I actually looked at purchasing a unit there. I felt that it was a bit far out personally (wife works downtown) but it's not a bad area. If you follow the trend, Wicker Park turned around and the gentrification continued Northwest up Milwaukee all the way to Logan Square and now Avondale. I think it's safe to assume it will continue in the same direction, but as is always the case with gentrification, it's a matter of when. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.