Timing the Market - buy now or wait for a correction

Timing the Market - buy now or wait for a correction

Rental Property Investor · Aiken, SC · Member since 2017 · 41 posts · 14 votes

As a new real estate investor who has not experienced the cyclical nature of the market, I wanted to see what experienced people say about trying to time the market.  It seems like locally and in many markets across the country the real estate market is heating up (overheating?) and may be due for a correction.  The Taliban is resurgent in Afghanistan.  N Korea is a problem.  Radical Islam is an ongoing threat.  Syria is a mess.  A government shutdown is being discussed.  Interest rates at some point have to go back up.  Black Swans seem to be circling the pond.  I have followed the Motley Fool approach to stock investing and they always point out the dubious success of stock market timing. 

Should I proceed with my first SFH if I can find the right deal? Or should I keep my powder dry and save up cash to pick up multiple deals in a year or two once the market softens or corrects? I do not need the cash flow now. I want to build passive income so that I can retire at a time of my own choosing, tentatively 13 years hence. Thanks.

1Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
9y

timing the market is crazy talk. what if you time it wrong?

what if you wait, and the market climbs, you gonna buy when prices go up 10%? What if the market climbs 20% and then the correction is only 10% downward swing? you waited 2 years and still paid more than you would have now.

What's your strategy? if you're holding then it's largely irrelevant what the market does in the short term.

someone on BP wrote today: "you don't wait to buy real estate, you buy real estate and wait."

you can't make money on the sidelines, get in the game. The market will always be changing in the future, adapt as the changes come.

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Leclaire, IA · Member since 2016 · 161 posts · 130 votes
    9y
    I think your stock market comparison is correct. Don't try to time the market. You need to start sometime. Do some deals that make financial sense now. If and when the market corrects, you will be "experienced" enough to buy even more "on sale".
  • Deerwood, MN · Member since 2014 · 184 posts · 122 votes
    9y

    The housing market is heating up for retail buyers.  I don't buy retail.  I buy those houses where the pipes froze and houses that smell bad.  Unless you have cash to buy an ugly house, or you can get a loan that includes repair costs, you will be stuck paying up for the nice retail houses.  If you are going to live in the house for several years, go ahead and buy now.  If you already live in a house and are looking to buy an investment property, save your cash or find a way to buy like an investor.

  • Rental Property Investor · Aiken, SC · Member since 2017 · 41 posts · 14 votes
    9y

    @Dan Vleck  I am working on finding an off market deal that works.

  • Natalie KolodijBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Tax Strategist| National Tax Educator| Accepting New Clients · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    There's an investor on here...unfortunately I'm blanking on his name....

    But he mentioned that his strategy was to buy in all markets and buy a lot when the market is down. Or something to that effect. 

     :) Sorry I kind of butchered that but you get the idea!

  • Investor · Hillsboro, OR · Member since 2016 · 304 posts · 153 votes
    9y

    Great question.

    I also worry about the long term market.  Twenty years ago rates on home loans were about 8%.  That is about the historical average.  The Feds raise rates slowly, but I often think that if  rates were 8% that nobody could afford their houses!  

  • Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2014 · 730 posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Yes, I always consider the Taliban when deciding on whether I should buy that next rental property.
  • Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    timing the market is crazy talk. what if you time it wrong?

    what if you wait, and the market climbs, you gonna buy when prices go up 10%? What if the market climbs 20% and then the correction is only 10% downward swing? you waited 2 years and still paid more than you would have now.

    What's your strategy? if you're holding then it's largely irrelevant what the market does in the short term.

    someone on BP wrote today: "you don't wait to buy real estate, you buy real estate and wait."

    you can't make money on the sidelines, get in the game. The market will always be changing in the future, adapt as the changes come.

  • Investor · Gordonville, PA · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    9y
    If you are buying for long term, even with market correction , your property will gain in value.
  • Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2015 · 98 posts · 64 votes
    9y

    Listen to the most recent podcast with @Scott Trench.  He talks about dollar cost averaging when buying properties.   That totally made sense to me, the way he framed it and gave me new perspective. Paraphrasing:  Buy when the market is up, down, and neutral, continuing to add to your portfolio - same way you would DCA with stocks.

    (loosely related)

    I just "lost out" on a deal.  I made an offer, got countered, made my "best offer" and they went with the other buyer.   To learn from it I have reviewed the numbers to see if I should've gone higher.  To do so would have gone against my criteria.  Emotionally I disappointed because I really liked the place, but as an investor I'm proud of myself for remaining disciplined.  

    Yeah the market is highly but there are still deals that work.  Be patient.  Set your criteria and go for it!

  • Real Estate Professional · Dublin, OH · Member since 2013 · 251 posts · 165 votes
    9y
    There's never a bad time to invest in any market, just a bad time to sell. Consider that
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    9y

    “Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections, or trying to anticipate corrections, than has been lost in corrections themselves.” – Peter Lynch

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.