How to deny a "Ready willing and able Buyer" -- RE AGENT

How to deny a "Ready willing and able Buyer" -- RE AGENT

Investor · Ascutney, VT · Member since 2015 · 291 posts · 20 votes

I am listing a house thats about to go on the market.  i am listing the house 10% below market value and hoping to create a bidding process so they can make better gains and sell it faster.

value is 320k,  and listing it at 280k.  If someone comes in with an all cash offer at 280k and says i will close on the buyers terms how can i reject that offer?  That would mean they are a "ready willing and able buyer".

So my question is, what can i write in the "additional provisions" on the mls to say that the price is starting at 280k but wont be sold at 280k

0Reply
13 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    IMO, it's a mistake to make a listing where you insist upon buyers bidding it up. You set the expectations of all agents and buyers with the very first MLS posting. If you list low and reject the all cash, you've just poisoned your own listing and all agents will stop shopping the property.

    Set a price where the all cash off makes you smile and accept the offer.

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    9y

    All you have to do is telling them A) this was my pricing strategy, and B) we are not considering offers below X. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Irmo, SC · Member since 2012 · 106 posts · 90 votes
    9y
    I have seen listings where the agent says they will not review offers during the first 7 days the house is listed. That should be long enough to generate multiple offers. On a different note, you are hoping buyers will offer $40k above list price? I agree with pricing low to generate multiple offers but I think most homeowners will balk at having to pay $40,000 or more above list. I hope other members chime in on what would be a good starting price. I wouldn't go lower than $299k but I would feel better at $310k. Thoughts?
  • Contractor · Glen Cove, NY · Member since 2016 · 209 posts · 89 votes
    9y

    You can always say you received a better offer when someone offers you the 280K if you decide not to let it go. 

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Sekelle O.:

    I have seen listings where the agent says they will not review offers during the first 7 days the house is listed. That should be long enough to generate multiple offers.

    On a different note, you are hoping buyers will offer $40k above list price? I agree with pricing low to generate multiple offers but I think most homeowners will balk at having to pay $40,000 or more above list.

    I hope other members chime in on what would be a good starting price. I wouldn't go lower than $299k but I would feel better at $310k. Thoughts?

     That is going to be very specific to the market and the property. Hopefully he knows his pricing strategy well. The only advice on the pricing strategy would come from people that know his market well. You are in the DC area, and in DC proper its pretty standard to list $50k low.  If the property is going to be $1.25 million, I'll list it at $999,900, a quarter of a million below expected sales price. Then you move over to PG county you typically want to list high and work your way down, same goes for a lot of the outer suburbs, while the inner suburbs will be listed just $10-$20k low.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.