Replace all the pipes or repair the defected parts?

Replace all the pipes or repair the defected parts?

Lynnwood, WA · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Hello, 

I'm going to sell my property in King County WA. I'm doing some major repairs the house and planning to sell it in couple months. One thing I'm not sure about is the pipes. Since I'm going to sell it, just wondering how much of value does it bring if I replace all the pipes vs fixing the broken parts? 

At this point, the 2 shower tubs upstairs are not draining well and they leaks downstairs ceiling. The downstairs bathroom sink does not have water. I have not had a chance to have a plumber look at it yet. Just wandering if anyone had similar situation. 

Thanks!

0Reply
15 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 885 votes
    9y

    @Alex Liu Yes, it does happen. It is a big job to fix. What you are not telling us is if the pipes are galvanized or copper. How old is the house? Are you updating the bathrooms or kitchen? 

    If the plumbing doesn't work, you will probably need to fix that before the loan can close. You probably have bigger problems than you see if there are leaks from one floor to another. There can be rot, mold and other problems.

  • Real Estate Agent · Buena Park, CA · Member since 2016 · 743 posts · 424 votes
    9y
    You need to have the entire plumbing system scoped with a tv camera to determine the extent of the damage.I definitely would be budgeting both the time and money for a complete repipe and I would imagine rewiring the electrical system to modern standards since your going to have to gut the interior anyway.Offering a remodeled home with new plumbing and wiring as well as new interior paint and flooring will definitely increase the value and make the home easier to sell.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.