seller asking for help with cost of adding 2nd water line

seller asking for help with cost of adding 2nd water line

Streamwood, IL · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 0 votes
Under contract for a duplex. city came and inspected the property (separate from the typical inspection I had done a few days after my offer was accepted) and they came back with a list of issues the seller must fix before closing. apparently there is one water main line to the house and the tenants have been sharing the water costs. the city is requiring that a second water line be added. the seller has asked if I would help with the costs...to the tune of $6,500. I told my attorney to tell her no (both he and my agent were in complete agreement that getting the place up to code is something I should not be even partly responsible for). my agent asked if I was prepared to walk away from the deal if the seller insists I help. what would you all do? any experience with this issue?
0Reply
15 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Johnson City, TN · Member since 2014 · 586 posts · 705 votes
    9y

    How good is the deal? Sounds to me like the seller is in a bit of a bind here. I think I would insist they either install the second line themselves or reduce the price by at least that much. 

  • Streamwood, IL · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    9y
    pretty good deal in my estimation.. yes, I'm insisting they figure it out themselves. while I understand them not wanting to sink this kind of money into a home they won't be owning anymore, but... they're the ones making a profit, I'm already having to contribute closing costs and do initial repairs. the sucky thing is that they can choose to walk away if they're​ not satisfied with my answer.
  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    Stick to your guns. Deals come and go, if they walk you find another one. No point in you paying unless they lower the purchase price.

  • Streamwood, IL · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    thanks everyone.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.